Sign in to follow this  

Embraer 145 - Crosswind landings...how to?

I mostly fly Bill Grabowski's ERJ145. While practicing crosswind landings, I do a normal crab into wind on final, but just before touchdown, when I'm supposed to dip my windward wing into wind and line up the aircraft with rudders, the aircraft does not respond as a real a/c would. It yaws wildly and does other unpredictable motions. This is no reflection on Bill's a/c. I experience similar problems with other a/c. Has anyone perfected a solid "dip the wing/kick the rudder" crosswind landing?

Guest GiZBUG

Sounds like the flight dynamics of the aircraft have to be tweaked...>I mostly fly Bill Grabowski's ERJ145. While practicing >crosswind landings, I do a normal crab into wind on final, >but just before touchdown, when I'm supposed to dip my >windward wing into wind and line up the aircraft with >rudders, the aircraft does not respond as a real a/c would. >It yaws wildly and does other unpredictable motions. This is >no reflection on Bill's a/c. I experience similar problems >with other a/c. Has anyone perfected a solid "dip the >wing/kick the rudder" crosswind landing?

Are you using rudders or a twist grip? The only way to do a satisfying crosswind landing is to use rudder pedals. With rudder pedals, no special technique differences from real life is required. People with twist grips, however, tend to gripe that it is way too sensitive for accurate rudder control in MSFS.

Guest guyjr

I can certainly concur with that statement. I have a Sidewinder FF Pro with a twist grip, and I can never get good results when trying to crab into a crosswind on landing. I'm pretty decent at it with a relatively non-gusting crosswind in a real-life C-172, so maybe I ought to try out some rudder pedals at some point.Has anybody had any success at using a twist grip and perhaps tweaking values in FSUIPC to dampen out the controls? I haven't looked into that yet, but just thought about it.

Well Kevin, I think you're probably right about the peddles. I have the Saitek throttle and stick. The rudder control is on the throttle as a two finger "wobble" button - has the same effect as the twist grip of a Sidewinder. Maybe I can 'detune' it in FSUIPC.Thanks fellas, for the advice.Rory

My attempts at dampening the thing didn't work (I used the Thrustmaster software, which allows for fine-tuning). I don't think it has to do with the way you choose, but with the very limited range of movement allowed by the twist (something like 30 or 40 deg.). Talk about "small corrections"..."