Sign in to follow this  
barryward12345

AIR/FDE Questions

Guest eko

Well, if any of the folks "in the know" would like to help... I need it pretty bad. :-)I've actually got a couple of questions, both of which will demonstrate my ignorance, but... hey... live and learn. :-)First, while at cruise altitude (let's say 14,000), what should the setting for the prop pitch be (approximate)? It seems that I always get the best performance when the prop levers are at 100%. Obviously, the mixture had to be leaned for maximum efficiency at this altitude. But reducing the prop pitch simply makes the speed go down, and reduces fuel consumption as well. I'm just a bit confused as to what the function of it is. If I wanted to reduce speed and fuel consumption, I would simply pull back the throttles, right?Second, I've been tinkering with an AIR file to replace the one I have in a plane (Chieftain) which I'm not fond of (I'm fond of the plane, not it's current AIR file ). I've taken a decent Beech Duke AIR file I had and modified it so that it suits the Chieftain, performs like expected regarding range, speed, climb, etc. However, I am a bit perplexed by a behavior I can't fix.No matter what angle I bank the plane, I never have to use my rudder pedals. The plane just doesn't seem to slip (is that the correct terminology?). It's almost like auto-coordination is always on (and it's not, trust me.) I've fiddled with the flight-tuning section to no end, tinkered with the MOI values, modified the actual .AIR file... and it is still does it.This just can't be normal, considering most other planes (the good ones) that I have, you need SOME rudder input to keep the ball "centered". Can any of the resident AIR file gurus clue me in as to how I may fix this?The plane now flies very nice, except for this little problem. Shoot, I spent good money on my CH Rudder pedals, I want to use them! :-)Any help would be appreciated for these two questions.

EKO Maybe this post might be better placed in the design forum -- although , even there , when it comes to FDE questions, input is only small. I have also an "unsolvable (to me anyway ) problem with the Junkers 52. It has a very strong tendency to want to roll out of a bank back to straight and level -- it is quite difficult to hold it at a particular bank angle and when it returns to straight and level it also wants to roll into a bank in the opposite direction. I have played around with dihedral, roll MOI and roll stability -- but can't get it to change its' ways!! :( It seems to have to much roll stability.Hope you get a reply to your question.Barry