Sign in to follow this  
wsieffert

Freezing up and joystick failures

Hi Guys,Having a problem that's affecting me in FS2002 as well as other games including, but not limited to X-Plane and Medal of Honor.The symptoms are that periodically, the graphics will freeze and stutter a few times over a period of about 4 or 5 seconds, then go back to normal and after the freezing up, the joystick stops responding. I can revive the joystick by going into Control Panel/Game Controllers. Usually at first the joystick doesn't appear listed, but if I close the game controllers window and re-open it a few times, eventually it will be re-listed and if I then go into properties for the joystick, it will start responding in the game until next time the freezing up occurs.The frequency of the problem is variable and follows no fixed pattern. I flew for about 50 minutes the other day without it occuring at all but today I flew from Meigs to O'Hare for the 27R ILS in the same aeroplane and it occured 5-10 times in that short flight.I have reformatted my hard disk, removed all unnecessary hardware, swapped my video card, unplugged the joystick, tried a different joystick port, played with settings and cannot find a solution. I have not always had the problem but cannot identify what caused it to begin.My relevant system details are as follows:-Windows XP Professional-P4 1.6gHz-Abit TH7-II RAID motherboard-512mb Samsung RDRAM-Soundblaster Live! Value (using its joystick port currently)-Creative Geforce 256 32mb video card-Quantum Fireball 30gb ATA-100 hard diskNote that there is no hard disk or CD reading occuring during the freeze-ups.Any help much appreciated!Regards,Luke

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Have you considered heat related problems, i.e., CPU and graphics adapter?Are you running any type of virus checking or firewall software?Are your graphics, sound, or other peripherals using the IRQs?Are you using WindowXP Internet Connection Sharing where your computer is acting as a router for other computers?