Sign in to follow this  
Guest aca_dia

Any hope for true overcast with 3D clouds?

Guest aca_dia

I have always used flight sim as a training tool for my real world flying. 99% of my usage is approaches and IFR procedures and related practice. Up until recently I have always used the simplest clouds available (2D) and the overcast fix that allows Fs9 to generate a real opaque overcast like 2002 had. More recently I have been finding my self goofing about (aircraft like the FSD Porter & Real Air Spitfire are real fun to play with) and messing around with VFR flying, adding terrain mesh, and land class files to make things look neato. After a serious computer upgrade this year I decided to give 3D clouds a try and I immediately purchased Activesky 2004.5. I am 100% happy with it and will be 110% happy when the destination weather issue is solved. So everything seems peachy.Well recently I have been wanting and needing to practice some IFR procedures with the sim and Im back to using 2D clouds and no Activesky. I am unable to get even close to a real solid overcast and zero visibility in clouds unless I go the 2D route. I get an ok over cast with 3D, but even with the enhanced overcast option selected I start seeing through clouds when I get under 1000

Hi Douglass,Thank you for the feedback..The effect you describe, being able to see the ground when lower than 1000AGL (and visibility isn't low) is something we cannot get around at this point w/ 3D clouds. They just aren't shown thick enough, probably due to performance concerns with the 3D rendering method. Fortunately when flying above all this the effect is quite nice with overcast enhancement.Being an Instrument Rated pilot myself, I love using FS9 and AS to keep sharp and give myself challenges. The solution is simple, use AS's maximum visibility enforcement at about 1sm. IFR all the time when you're near the deck, and if any low clouds are present, they will be very solid due to the additional FS9 haze (or fog layer generation) effects. Of course when you descend into the surface zone your vis will also start dropping so there will be no way to see the ground once you get close (until you're REALLY close of course, just how we like it :)). Future enhancement priorites do include increased IMC accuracy in the low layer ceiling department (without needing to restrict vis).Hope that helps!

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Guest aca_dia

Damian,Thanks for the info and the tip about using AS's maximum visibility enforcement. I will give that a try when I am messing about with FS9 again. AS is truly a great addition to the simulator and even though these days I spend most of my work day in a real cockpit, AS makes me want to keep flying in the sim on my time off.ThanksDouglas