Sign in to follow this  
Guest allblack

A quick installation question please.

Guest allblack

I downloaded AS2004.5 last night, and got in a quick 5min flight before management dragged me away to do something..Before I make any comments, I have the following folder in Windows Explorer:Microsoft Games/Flight Simulator 9/Modules/ActiveSky 2004/Docs/VoiceThis doesn't seem like a hell of a lot for a 6MB download! And what I saw out of the cockpit window last night didn't look that stunning...I'm still hunting for the Manual, but any comments re: a dodgy download on my part would be appreciated.CheersTim

Hi Tim,OK let's back up. You purchased AS 2004.5 from SimMarket.com and they sent you an e-mail and download link. You downloaded a .zip file that had a readme text file and an install file. You clicked on the install icon and followed the prompts. Now a desktop icon for AS2004.5 was created and a Startup menu item for AS2004.5 was created. Clicking on the AS2004.5 icon starts our program outside of FS04. Please let us know where your experience differs. BTW the AS2004.5 main folder should be about 26.5MB. You may have a corrupt download and if you just purchased, your original download link will still be valid. Make sure that all anti-virus is off during download and installation.Please let us know!!Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg

Guest allblack

Huh? Yes, I purchased it through Simmarket. The download box popped-up, and showed a file of 6.09MB, which it downloaded in about 20 minutes through a dial-up.If I knew it was 26MB, I wouldn't have bought it because I won't be able to download it properly. But I certainly would try given the money's gone...Have I just spent my entire Xmas "toy" budget on something I now can't use / download?OK, I'm at work so better not worry about this now. I'll go home tonight, look at your comments and panic then!Not sure if you are able to check my download to see what it's lacking, but it certainly was nowhere near 26MB.Thanks for your assistance thus far - appreciated.Tim

Guest flight

26.5MB!???!!!!Mine is only 12.4. Should I be concerned? Have I been praising this product all this time and not even flying w/ it? Wouldn't that be hilarious?

Hi Tim,Hold on here! OK, the INSTALL package may be 6MB. Now, this is a highly compressed installation file. You made things sound like after INSTALLING your folder was only 6MB. More than likely everything is OK and you can let us know after you check things out. Your "toy" budget is safe with us!! We will get you up and running!! Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg

Guest allblack

Thanks Jim, I appreciate your patience and candour!More than anything, I'm showing my ignorance. I don't know how zipped files work, I would have thought that 26MB is 26MB, regardless of how's it's packaged.Like I said - ignorance.I did find the manual on the site, and I've printed it off (thanks employer!!) and will be very studious tonight. Me thinks it will be a late one...So, I'll shut up until I've had a proper play and can come back with educated problems if I'm still having them. After the weekend maybe.Just a 'quickie' though, from the quick read I've had, can I create in AS my own weather, or do I have to take whatever it gives me or downloads? I'm assuming I can, but thought I'd ask whilst I'm here.My initial 'play' will be NZWN to NZAA with vastly different weather created at five waypoints along the way just to see what this product can do. And from what I read, it can do everything!!Thanks again. You're extremely good at what you do, and must have the patience of a Saint.CheersTim

Well, as a full time school teacher I better have a bunch of patience! OK you got the manual and the ink and paper for free. That is a good start! Refer to it as you set up and learn about AS. Yep, it may take a few days or so, but we'll be here when you need us!It is possible to create your own weather but it involves editing the weather files. I would suggest not doing that for now and just use what nature gives you. Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg

Guest allblack

Thanks Jim.As I type I'm sitting here with the (free!) manual and on p34 of 41 it says "You can also manually create your own ....weather for any area you want".Well, I want. But, the missus has even looked at it and we can't see an explanantion for how to do it.And your comment above adds to the mystery.....Does your comment mean it's not "approved" functionality, but can be done, or are you suggesting that the editing of the files is tricky and requires learning to crawl before running?Sorry to bang on about this, but in New Zealand we have REALLY BORING weather, but I want to fly here, hence my desire to spice it up a bit!CheersTim

Hi,You would download a weather set, switch to Offline Mode, open the weather set file with a text editor like Wordpad. Then for the weather stations in the area you would be flying in, edit each station report. You would need a knowledge of METAR reports and codes. You would lastly save this file and then use it in AS.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg

Guest allblack

Bugger! Truth is, if I had known that I wouldn't have bought it.But I have, so I'll be happy with what I've got. And from what I've read, happy I shall (eventually) be.Thanks Jim for your help thus far.Let the games commence. I'll go somewhere with exciting weather - lots of thunderstorms. Who's got crappy weather guys?? CheersTim