Sign in to follow this  
Guest cstackable

Constant overcast at 7D2 airport

Guest cstackable

Being from the Troy Michigan area I fly out of Oakland/Troy airport as my home base. I have recently discovered a very strange problem. I start FS, place my Cessna at 7D2, clear the weather through FSUIPC, start AS2004.5 and wait for the update to finish. I then have a perfect looking sky that matches the nearest station report shown in AS which is KDET. About 15 seconds or so later the sky changes from whatever it was to an ugly grey overcast. In trying to determine what might be the cause I have gone to a number of other airports and not had this problem. For example, I have started up at KSEA, same steps, no issues. I have started up at KDTW, to be close by, and still no problems. I can even be sitting at 7D2 after the problem, go to the menu and move to a different airport, and have the weather redraw itself perfectly, then use the menu to go back to 7D2 and within 20 seconds the weather is drawn back to an ugly overcast. Now as a side note, 7D2 has had an AWOS go into service recently and it actually received a designator change to VLL......The AWOS (Automated Weather Observation System) at Oakland/Troy Airport went into service on December 30, 2004. As a result, the airport designator will be changed from 7D2 to VLL effective March 17, 2005.Could this somehow be causing the issue? Or does anybody have any other ideas?Sorry for the long winded explanation.Curtis

Hi Curtis..When you say overcast, you are referring to actual clouds or the visibility?What is the METAR report in question?It could be related to the station change... But lets look at that METAR first..Best,

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies