Sign in to follow this  
TheFiddler

ASV clouds being used by FS also if ASV is NOT running?

Hello all,first,thanks for creating ASV -- I have always thought ActiveSky + Chris would make the FS Weather Dream Team, and ASV proves me right :-).So I am happy with ASV, but on my system (2.6 GHz P4, 768 MB RAM) I have to fight for every fps, and now I wanted to try the MIPS clouds to see how much they help.But I am not sure if I understand the procedure completely. (Sorry, I know this is beating a very dead horse, and I did read the sticky thread (and others) several times; but I still need to make sure to really get it right: I live in mortal fear of having all those wonderful ASV clouds, but not actually being using them... x( )Here's what I did (standard procedure as I understand it):[p class=dcmessage][ul][li]I'm using the default (256x256) clouds.[/li][li]In the AE pane of the ASV options, "All Manual (No Autoselections)" is checked.(I like to be in control myself :-))[/li][li]From the AE Configuration interface, I triggered the conversion ("Enable MIPS").No problem here, ASV reports conversion success.[/li][li]To get the newly MIPSed clouds into FS2004, I pressed the "Update" buttons (all of them, just to be safe), then clicked "Submit".(This is what Chris means with "manual installation", right?). ASV reported successful installation to FS9.[/li][/ul][/p][p class=dcmessage]So far so good.Now my questions:[br /]1. I compared the FS2004texture folder content from before and after the MIPS installation, and the only difference I can see is that the cumulus01.bmp file changed size (from 16,458 to 349,598 bytes).All other BMP files are still the same as before.[br /] In the ASV folders, there are however lots of changed files (all those newly MIPSed ones, apparently).Is this OK?[br /]If so, how will FS2004 ever take into use the ASV clouds (in the ASV folders)?2. And now I am wondering, more generally: What happens if I run FS2004 without running ASV at the same time?I had assumed that (once installed manually), the ASV clouds are being used in FS2004 always, with or without ASV running -- but are they really?Because, I believe FS2004 can use them only if they are in FS2004texture. But all of them (except cumulus01.bmp) seem to live in the ASV folders -- so, are they moved into FS2004 only "on the fly", i.e. only when ASV is running at the same time?Thanks in advance for any enlightenment! :+Cheers,Martin[/p]

Hi,1A. Yes1B. As you manually select them, press Update and Submit.2. FS04 will use the textures you last submitted through ASV. To use ICS while running FS04, then ASV must be running.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Sales and Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_dev_team.jpg http://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_proud_supporter.jpg

Thanks, Jim, for the very prompt reply; impressive service again!And I understand what you are saying -- but how come that after a successful*) "Submit", I see no changes at all in the files of the FS2004texture folder? (With the exception of cumulus01.bmp)Shouldn't I be seeing lots of "new" BMP files in FS2004texture, different from what there was before? ("new" = with other date and/or other size)Also, during the "Submit" process, are files just copied from the ASV folders to the FS2004texture folder?Because if that is the case, I could compare the content of those folders directly, to find out what FS2004 is actually using.Cheers,Martin*) and that's not just me guessing: ASV in fact told me it had successfully updated FS2004

Hi,The only clouds moved are cumulus01 and cirrus. Then there are the other textures such as sky, moon, lights ect.If you really want to see which textures are copied: after a submit go into your AE folder and open the action.txt file. There you will have the whole list of files that were copied.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Sales and Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_dev_team.jpg http://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_proud_supporter.jpg

Hello,> . . .go into your AE folder and open the action.txt file.>There you will have the whole list of files that were copied.Ah, excellent! That's just what I need. Special thanks to ASV for supplying this log -- nothing is worse than software trying to keep the user in the dark; much better to provide a look behind the scenes for those who want it, and in case of questions such as mine.Just for the record, and for others benefitting from this thread: in my ASV version (SU1 not yet applied), the log file is called action.log Thanks again for this very prompt support!Cheers,Martin