Sign in to follow this  
Guest 99norman

WX Configurator and TAF's

Guest 99norman

G'dayI do most of my flying offline, and was just wondering if it's possible to enter TAF's into the wx configurator, as i'd like to be able to create my own weather with from's and inter/tempo's. i've done a little playing around, starting with cavok and changing to broken and overcast conditions, as shown below.YBCG 092215Z 100018 01010KT CAVOK FM02 29020G35KT 4000 BKN015The TAF displayer in ASV starts with cavok, then changes to one layer of few, then goes back to cavok, as below.YBCG 092221Z 0024 31010KT CAVOK FM03 01012KT 9999 FEW045 FM12 24008KT CAVOK RMK AUTO GENERATED ASVAs expected, the TAF above describes the weather in FS. I am using the all locations option and have no surpression at all. Also i am aware of the requirments with regards to time (my expected from period in the first TAF = 1200 local.) Am i entering in the wrong format, or does the wx configurator not fully support TAF's. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as this feature would make an already great programe awsome.Thanks in advance,Michael

Hi Michael,Interesting suggestion! You are right in that TAFS are not supported in wxC. But I thought about your example and here is a possible work around.Take the first part of the TAF and design a METAR and then apply it to your departing airport with a small range. Then take the middle condition and design a METAR and apply it to a middle station with a range. Lastly, take the third condition and design a METAR and apply it to your destination with a range.I know this would give you the conditions based on location and not time, but it still might work well.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Sales and Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_dev_team.jpg http://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_proud_supporter.jpg

Guest 99norman

G'Day Jim,Thanks for the quick reply, i thought this was the case. What i would have loved to do is really deteriorate the weather right on my ETA, then see if i can make it or not. But I'm sure I'll be able to come up with a similar solution as you suggested.Thanks for the help, and keep up the great work.Michael

Guest 99norman

G'Day Jim,I was doing some thinking and was wondering if it's possible to manually edit a saved weather file (depending on the format), so that it could be played back with TAF processing. If so that could be a way to creat TAF's manually. I haven't tried yet as i can't acess my FS computer for the next couple days, but was just curious to your opinion on the idea.Thannks in advanceMichael

Hi,Sure, all the data is in current_wx_snapshot.txt and can be edited. Basicly that is what wxC does. Just make sure you are in Offline Mode so that ASV does not overwrite it.The same is true of an archived file. It can be opened with a text editor and resaved.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Sales and Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_dev_team.jpg http://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_proud_supporter.jpg