Sign in to follow this  

Memory Module failure?

I have 512mb of DDR 2700 RAM installed, a clean drive for FS and an AthlonXP 2000 processor. Until a couple of days ago everything ran smoothly but then the problesm started.Now:When FS starts the load process, about half way through I get an 'out of memory' error and the load defaultys back to the desktop. I have checked task manager and it shows RAM usage as between 120 and 140mb. I have disabled all activities on the start menu but no correction to the problem.I uninstalled FS and when trying to reinstall with a full installation the process stops and alerts me to a memory shortage or disk full or faulty .cab file when loading the 10Voice option. I have tried to install using a custom installation and selecting the 3voice option. The installation progresses further but stops loading the FS2002.cab file. I have used explorer to open the .cab files (after copying them to the HD) and there doesn't appear to be a problem with the contents.I have uninstalled my OS (XP Home) and when I tried to reinstall the system either locked up during the installation or on a couple of occasions I encountered fatal installation errors with accompanying memory dumps requiring a reboot. On a couple of occasions the reading of the OS disk indicated a missing file and when prompted could not detect the file on the disk (it was a different file on each occasion).I switched the two RAM modules with no appreciable improvement. Finally I removed one module and tried to install the OS, still failed. Then I removed the other and everything loaded perfectly. FS loaded first time with no hitches.Do you think I have nailed the problem? Are the problems I have had consistent with a memory module failure?Your advice will be appreciated.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

hi,well it sure sounds like you have....i've had a faulty memory module as well,but my computer just wouldn't boot,so i tried em out at once....i've also had the "out of memory" thing when i had too much ai aircraft installed,my puter just could not handle that..if i were you i'd ask santa for a new module :-)happy flying

Do a search for a utility called memtest. It runs from a bootable floppy and aggressively scans every aspect of your memory modules. It will confirm it for you.