Sign in to follow this  
Guest mkuebeler

Clarification of Wx Suppression at destination (FS9)

Guest mkuebeler

So I understand that weather suppression basically keeps the METARs for the destination and surrounding weather stations to update so you don't get a sudden weather change during arrival. Does this then mean the weather at any point within that suppression area will remain static? The other night I flew into DFW and ActiveSky had positioned a very nasty thunderstorm almost right on top of the airport. Visibility was so poor I missed the first ILS approach and flew around for another try. As I was circling around it occurred to me that had I opted to go hold somewhere to wait for the t-storm to drift off or let up a little, I might have ended up waiting forever due to weather suppression!Mark KuebelerWestWind Airlineswww.flywestwind.com

Guest mkuebeler

Interesting, thanks! What about if TAF processing is enabled? Or the FS9 weather setting that controls rate of weather change (I have it set to none)? I guess you never think about what the weather at any point in the FS9 universe is going to be after you've flown past it, but if you depend on the weather changing at your destination when suppression has gone into effect it's good to know you have to do something to actually get that to happen.Mark KuebelerWestWind Airlineswww.flywestwind.com