Sign in to follow this  
ndflieger

Help with settings/frame rates

Greetings all!I've been using ActiveSky for a few years now and am delighted with the product - can't imagine simming without it.I recently bought a new computer:Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.0GhzAsus 775 P5NeSLI nVidia 650 CORE 2 Duo Quad Mo Board4GB DDR2 PC6400/800Mhz memoryGF-FX-7600GS PCI-EX 512MB grapics cardOp Sys WinXP SP2FS9 SP1ActiveSky V6FS AutoStart to shut down unnecessary stuffFSUIPC Registeredother assorted goodies ;-)Anyway, I have my frames locked at 60, fair amount of detail & default AI running. However, whenever I encounter any substantial amount of clouds when running downloaded AS weather, my frames plummet to the med teens. I'm not using any high end payware a/c, mostly the older jets and t-props from Piper, Maltby, & Co. I have my cloud layers limited to 3, I do not use online updated wx, vis set to 30 (using the SoftHorizon addon), cloud draw to 30...I was using the medium clouds (512x512), but have dropped to the lower (128x128) and that didn't make much difference. The frame rate drop will occur over dense scenery and also out in the middle of nowhere.I could post more settings if need be, but is there anything I can do to not take such a large frame rate hit?Regards.ScottKJMS (or thereabouts)

Hi Scott,You should be doing better than this. The first place I would look is at all your drivers and make sure they are up to date. That includes motherboard stuff.How would you describe your performance on your old machine?Make sure you are running B552 of AS.What is your AA and AF set to for your video card?Please let us know.Happy Holidays,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-community-sigbanner.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/

Hi Jim,Thanks for the reply. I have my AA set at 4x and AF set to 8x (via nHancer) - at least that's what I think it is, since I'm at work now. I believe I'm using the latest build of AS.My old machine was an AMD 2500+ Athlon XP. I had the frames locked to 25 on that, and in heavy clouds (3 layers), they would drop down to the low teens, which would be expected on that system. Sometimes during flight on my new system in clouds they will drop to 10 momentarily.What is funny, though, is that I'm also running IL2 Sturmovik 1946, and have the settings mostly maxed out there, including detailed clouds, and don't see any performance hits. I know that's apples & oranges, but that sim is very CPU intensive (what with all the AI traffic and ground activity).Regards,ScottKJMS (or thereabouts)