Sign in to follow this  
rcbarend

Which aircraft types uses Magneto's ?

Hi,Could someone tell me which FS2002 aircraft types uses Magneto's ?It probably depends on the engine type (Props do, Jets don't), but does it also depend on the aircraft model ? (because I've noticed not all Prop aircraft use Magneto's).Thanks, Rob

All those piston aircraft such as the Cessna's, Pipers, Beeches, & Mooneys would be using magneto's in their Continentals and Lycomings. Normally, there will be two magneto's to fire two spark plugs to each cylinder. Each plug is to the seperate magneto's. This provides more spark power as well as backup should a plug or magneto fail. Other options are to replace one magneto with a more efficient electronic ignition system. As for certified engines on certified planes, I don't know if there are total electronic ignition systems or not. You could do it on an experimental, such as what auto-conversions will end up with, but I like the idea of at least one magneto as backup since it's totally independant of the aircrafts electrical system.L.Adamson