Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jack

FS2002 will not start!!! HELP!!!

FS2002Pro will not start due to a download I uninstalled that did not have an uninstall file (Jeppesen's Sem Charts Demo). Now the splash screen comes up then I get a blank screen with an hourglass that refuses to go away.I ran Norton Utilities, a separate Registry cleaner, I eliminated (renamed) the FS2002.cfg, all to no avail. The new CFG just says {STARTUP} ShowLogo=0 since that's all the further the program goes before going belly-up. My original CFG states:{STARTUP}ShowLogo=0Demo=0LoadSim=1LoadWindow=1Show_Opening_Screen=1StartUp_Demo=Would someone please verify that this is the correct start-up language. Any assistance would be appreciated because I'm panicing at the thought of having to reinstall FS2002 with the hundreds (thousands?) of add-ons.I'm running a Pentium III with Windows 98SE.Thanks again.

It seems the program is trapping somewhere else due to some residual files left in fs2002. I recommend you copy the entire fs2002 folder to a new area on your hardrive and rename it fs2002OLD. Next, uninstall fs2002 using the Windows Add/Remove Menu. Open Windows Explorer and delete the residual fs2002 folder (NOT fs2002OLD folder). Reboot your computer, reinstall fs2002 to the same hardrive/partition. Once reinstalled, start fs2002 to make sure it is operating properly. Make a copy of fs2002 and rename it fs2002NEW. you can now slowly copy the aircraft, scenery, etc. from fs2002OLD to fs2002 folder. If it become corrupt again, you can either backout the problem file or start over with the fs2002NEW folder by make a copy of it and renaming it to fs2002. Once you get everything the way you want, you can delete fs2002OLD and fs2002NEW. I keep a copy (fs2002NEW) because I do a lot of testing of different aircraft, scenery, etc. and it is nice to be able to recover quickly from problems.

Thanks,I was hoping for a magic bullet but I think your methodology is my only way to go.kvopat

Guest Jack

Thanks for the reassurance. I haven't reinstalled 2k2 since original Oct 01 installation and was trying to figure out if what you suggest is safe.If one's memory isn't the first thing to go, I can't remember what is.Now I can uncross my fingers and proceed.Thanks again,JackD