Sign in to follow this  
Guest ogeva

DC3 in Alaska

Guest Javis

Absolutely wonderful pictorial report,Oren ! Only thing missing is the actual loading/unloading of the cargo. Maybe in FS10 huh... :-cool Thanks for the link, really enjoyed it !Jan

Guest ogeva

No, Mark, I am no Guru...Just a fan ;-)

Hi,yes, it is very impressive, they are still in the air :-)I've just returned from my holiday trip to Alaska. At the final day it was the first time to see a DC3 flying. I saw a DC3 taking off from rwy 32 at PANC as I was waiting for my airliner back to Germany.As a member of DC3 Airways I was very lucky to see the old lady flying.Tom.

Guest ogeva

Cool thing!I was lucky enough to fly on one, once.When I was in the military service, I had a chance to fly to my base from Tel Aviv on a dc-3.They served in the Israeli airforce fro, 1948, when Israel was formed as a country till 2001 or 2002.I was in the army from 1994-1997, and I got to fly on one just this one time.Everybody were complaining about the noise and heat - but for me it was a dream come true!

Guest allenp

What a great set of pix. I'm also a member of the DC3 Airways, but don't have all the radio stuff done to participate. However, I've flown close to 700 hours in the DC-3 while working for Reeve in the '50s as 3rd crew. Not much time in the interior, except for a few contract flights. Most of our flights were ANC out the "chain" and the Priboloffs. Hopefully, I'll have the "FS" system down to participate in similar flights that you've shown.One thing missing on most of the DC-3s flown in AK. That is, the cold weather engine package which changed the engine cowling and exhaust. Also made a major change in sound...much more like a B-25.Thanks for the great pix.Allen

Guest ogeva

How would you have flown from say, Yakutat to Sitka in a DC3 in Alaska?VFR following the coast line? What altitude would be typical for such a flight?Or maybe IFR on the A440 airway?

Guest allenp

I have several and am i the process of "digging" them out of storage. I need to dup the older 35mm slides and just got the necessary attachments for my camera to do that. So when their ready I'll post a few of interest.

Guest allenp

I never flew the Yakutat to Sitka route. It wasn't on the RAA schedule. However, my father-in-law was a salesman and flew to Sitka on a connection in a Goose. I'm not positive, I'll need to look at some older maps, but I don't think Sitka had a runway at the time. All I remember was the lumber processing sitting on the side of the mountain and a the pier. But will look for some older pix.Just as a side note what we called VFR in Alaska was commonly IFR. The Reeve pilots were the best for getting where we needed to be. I remember one occassion when Alaska Air tried to underbid us in supplying some of the dew line project with fresh produce, etc. They lost their cargo in Cold Bay while we continued operations.How, by putting a jeep/pickup etc. at the appropriate takeoff minimum footage. Through direct connection with our local ops we sat at the end of the runway until we had a visual. It only takes a small gust of wind to setup the legal procedure. The moment visual was made we were off. The route to St. Paul Island usual was on beacon for most of the flight and St Paul was usually clear.Sometimes leaving Cold Bay we would make our run to Umnak, do Nikolski at the other end of the Island then back to Dutch Harbor and by that time Dutch was clear. Our daily supply to Dutch and the Dew Line construction was get them what they needed when they needed it. We did lose a C-46 out of Driftwood Bay which is listed in the FAA accident report. Though it seems I know more of what happened than what is in the report. We were in our goony flying supply runs between Sarichef and Dutch when the went down and did some arial search for about an hour. They were only about 1.5 miles off shore, if that far. I have a pix of the C-46 taken in Anchorage. And there are some pix (no mine) in existence of that day.

Guest ogeva

Here's the second flight from that article.Not as fancy, but I think it portrays the "mood" of running salmon in Alaska better...http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?t=27863and while we're at it, here's a repaint I am doing for the DC3.It's still in the early stages, but I think it will look nice (sorry for the hebrew in that forum!)http://www.vatil.org/vatil/board/viewtopic.php?t=4017You can find the original when looking in airliners.net for DC3 under the Arkia airline.