Sign in to follow this  
Guest Laikim Liklik Susu

DC-3 model

Guest Laikim Liklik Susu

I received my EAGERLY awaited FS2004 CD yesterday, and IMMEDIATELY got to work doing the TAA Sunbird Services repaint I had been wanting to do for YEARS. It is coming along SUPERBLY, and I should have it done in a day or so.ONE PROBLEM: DC-3 Cargo Model. I have to use the DC-3 Cargo version, as all the Sunbird DC-3's were ex-C-47's, with the double side cargo door. So, I loaded my textures to trial into the BEA cargo repaint, when I saw an IMMEDIATE problem - one row too many windows FORWARD of the wing leading edge! It wouldn't annoy most, but it annoys the FASTIDIOUSLY accuacy freak me!So, I tried it in the DC-3 Passenger version, which has the CORRECT number of windows I need, but alas now I have entry door on the wrong side AND a lamp in the nose cone.SO, I tried it in the R4D version, and alas again I have not only a wrong sized door, but an astrrodome (which the TAA Sunbird DC-3's had removed), as well as the long carby intakes, which NO TAA DC-3 had. AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!So, I was wondering if it is a big deal for one of the MAAM developers to merely remove the forward most row of windows in the model for me and send to me????? I would appreciate it so VERY much, as like I said I am so VERY accuracy nuts in my repaints (I can live without the DF football on the upper deck - TAA had a DF football there instead of the VHF antenna). With the extra windows, it does detract from the repaint a LOT.If it is asking too much to model them out, then so be it.Would appreciate an answer to the feasibility of this.In summary, what i need is the cargo version, with the forward-most windows removed from EACH side in the model (ala the other models)Here is a sample of my repainting so far - titles to add yet, as well as the nose cone paint). Just that ONE extra window too many on each side.... :)PS: are there paddle blade props available as a mod for this???

Guest Laikim Liklik Susu

PS: I know NOT to use deicer boot wings too ;)

Guest Laikim Liklik Susu

Test "flight" 2 - the hurdle over! Lining up the nose cone texture map with the fuselage texture map. Now to thin the white spacer, and extend the antiglare black slightly.You can see in this shot how the front most window "interferes" (HINT HINT!) :)

>I received my EAGERLY awaited FS2004 CD yesterday, and>IMMEDIATELY got to work doing the TAA Sunbird Services repaint>I had been wanting to do for YEARS. It is coming along>SUPERBLY, and I should have it done in a day or so.Firstly, congratulations on your purchase! Your repaint looks extremely promising, well done. Very exciting!>ONE PROBLEM: DC-3 Cargo Model. I have to use the DC-3 Cargo>version, as all the Sunbird DC-3's were ex-C-47's, with the>double side cargo door. So, I loaded my textures to trial into>the BEA cargo repaint, when I saw an IMMEDIATE problem - one>row too many windows FORWARD of the wing leading edge! It>wouldn't annoy most, but it annoys the FASTIDIOUSLY accuacy>freak me!Read on ...>So, I tried it in the DC-3 Passenger version, which has the>CORRECT number of windows I need, but alas now I have entry>door on the wrong side AND a lamp in the nose cone.For reference, that is not a lamp. It is an airscoop.>SO, I tried it in the R4D version, and alas again I have not>only a wrong sized door, but an astrrodome (which the TAA>Sunbird DC-3's had removed), as well as the long carby>intakes, which NO TAA DC-3 had. AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!I sense a certain frustration ....>If it is asking too much to model them out, then so be it.>In summary, what i need is the cargo version, with the>forward-most windows removed from EACH side in the model (ala>the other models)If you can be patient, you may be rewarded. Jan Visser is currently working on a C-47 base that is much more typical of the majority of C-47-based DC-3s flying today and, indeed, that ever flew, given that most were conversions from C-47s (there were only about 400 dedicated DC-3s ever built in the factory, but over 10,000 C-47s.)Jan will be modelling bucket seat, cargo and passenger versions with seven windows each side. I'm hoping that he will model the military version with astrodome and the others without; he and I have been discussing a number of options that would best suit repainters. So, in a nutshell, you will get something far closer to what you want if you wait a little. Realise, however, that no two aircraft are the same in this marque, and you cannot expect to have every aerial and antenna in the right place, perhaps; but you'll be a lot happier, I'm sure!>PS: are there paddle blade props available as a mod for>this???Not at present. It's something I'd like to see as an option myself, but that may be too much to expect of Jan, I don't know. He's got a TBM to work on ... and apparently he has to eat and sleep occasionally too ...Hope this helps, and that I'm telling it as it is and that Jan is not going "grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..." in the background ....Mark "Dark Moment" BeaumontP.S. I did release texture templates for the existing pax and cargo versions; have you seen those? They cut a few corners for some, but it looks that you might be beyond the point where you would find them useful. Anyway, the file is maamkit1.zip. There will be more, in time, for other varieties.http://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Guest Laikim Liklik Susu

Mark,Thanks very much indeed, and to Jan, it is in NO WAY a complaint - like I said just the anal retentive accuracy freak speaking out. I'll live with the cargo version as is...Mark, you're right on the air scoop - kept thinking DC-2 lamp when looking at it! :)Still trying to figure how to paint the anti-stone chip paint on the belly of these - could be a little daunting, but will probably nut it out or come to a compromise! Figuring the texture maps did take me some time and getting used to (having repainted so many Kittyhawk / SGA / Vistaliners aircraft, I am used to SIMPLE texture maps!), and having to scan the existing paint schemes MANY times to figure what went where, but she's getting there, and remarkably easy - the use of lateral and spatial orientation is coming to the fore! (see - all that training for flying pays off in more ways than just avaition!).I could be VERY wrong Mark, but do I sense a connection with you and Ansett and Cathay? :) Myself am TAA and Singapore Airlines.... :) (I did relent and did an Ansett 727 repaint recently - anrmk727.zip on flightsim.com - will upload to avsim soon)Anyway, enough ramble, and thanks for the advice. I'll eagerly await news from Jan about any possible upgrades. For now, I can live with an extra window...

Cathay, yes, but not Ansett. I used to work for the shipping side of the Swire Group (floating things, not packages) who also ran Cathay Pacific. I run a little Cathay-oriented website for flightsim if, perchance, you have never seen it:www.swiremariners.com/cathayhk.htmlThere's a 'plane or two there .... and even a DC-3.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg