Sign in to follow this  
Guest SPOFF

Christmas R4D/DC3

Guest SPOFF

Got the R4D/DC3 for Christmas. NO cold START: Tried all the logical solutions...procedures, etc. ...short of my Own solution..ie: Knock down the frames (FPS)lock to 30 in FS9. I was already locked at 35..to accomodate the B-25. 35 wasn't working here: .. so I went back to 30 FPS. IT STARTED. I then kicked it back up to 35 FPS. It Still started, and continues to start. ???? Not being one to just let it go, I wondered whether I had inadvertently done something else differently during this excercise. OR: Maybe a "One Time" initialization down to 30 FPS might be the answer to both (B-25/DC3)problems. At this point, I don't know. Did I do something else differently?? What I AM DOING now is "Priming" 10 clicks (Hot or Cold) for the R4D/DC3 Vs. 5 clicks for the B-25. Can it be this simple? At any rate, I'm flying without further problems. NICE PLANE.EDIT: By the way, I tried boosting the frames beyond 35...(up to 45 then back to 40)just to see what would happen. NO START.

Guest Edd1

Hi I remember reading a thread, previously, about "no cold start" that stated they could start the engines by putting another window (square bracket) on the screen. I have no explanation for this but it might be worth a try until you hear from one of the MAAM guys. So far I haven't had any problems, other than the one I created. Happy New Year.Ed Workman

I hadn't jumped in here because SPOFF seemed to have sorted his problem, by reducing FPS rate. This, as you'll know, has been documented a few times in this forum as a fix that works for some who have experienced starting problems. Ed's idea is also one that has worked for some. What is infuriating for those of us wearing the MAAM hats is that we've been unable to replicate the issue on our own machines, so can't fault find without a problem to attack. Sorry about that, but glad you're up and flying, SPOFF. And thanks, Ed, for highlighting that other 'fix' once more.MarkMark "Dark Moment" BeaumontVP Fleet, DC-3 AirwaysTeam Member, MAAM-SIM[a href=http://www.swiremariners.com/cathayhk.html" target="_blank]http://www.paxship.com/maamlogo2.jpg[/a]

Guest SPOFF

YUP: Been flying ever since, with the FPS locked at 35. I think maybe before I wasn't Priming enough clicks. I prime 10 clicks now on cold and 6 clicks worked last night on a hot engine. Flying a Real C172, I only prime TWICE. Anywho, 35 FPS (locked) is no problem for me. I don't even know if I can tell the difference between locked 35 and locked 45. I Don't use ANY other workarounds. Trouble is now I have a real problem deciding weather to fly the NAVY R4D, or the ARMY B-25. I think it's those big "Round" engine sounds. By the way, those popping and banging sounds coming from the B-25 Engines at idle are REAL. I had a chance to SEE, HEAR, and CLIMB AROUND Inside one last spring at the airport here in the Northeast where the B-25 pilots were being recertified. You guys in Reading probably know the FAA Checkpilot. He's in his Eighties. One of the few left who can give you your checkride in ANY round engine plane you might have. SPOFF