Sign in to follow this  

HELP - Network/XP

Hello,yesterday my brother and me we wanted to connect our PCs. Both have WinXP Home. They have both P4s, enuff RAM/HD, new gForce graphics cards so not too bad. But that damn network just didn't work. Tried to assign IPs, etc., all the usual stuff. Sometimes we saw the other PC in network neighborhood, sometimes not, sometimes even not the own PC. File transfer was ultra slow, the network graph in the taskmanager showed <1% during file transfer. 'ping' in the DOS box worked from time to time, and my (automatically assigned) IP was 0.0.0.0, then after one or two minutes aI had a real one. At all it seemed to work 'normal', at normal speed etc for let's say three minutes when we transferred 100MB thru the network, that went in a few seconds, and a few minutes we played a racing game in network, then wanted to try out IL-2, and the network wa down again, NO idea why.Had similar problems also with another friend of mine, same applies to my brother and some other people...What the heck is going on there, do you please have any idea!?!Thanks a lot,frustrated Etienne

Did you try using the Home Networking wizard??If not go to My network Places on the desktop, in the top left hand corner there should be a Set, or create home network, click that and it will start that up. Answer the questions and set up your network.If that doesnt do it try right clicking on Network places, go to properties,(I think)(I have WinXP at home but currently using Win98, so I may be off)you should see an icon that says Lan, Network, Connection, ect,ect. Right click on that and go to properties. You should see a new window that has 3 tabs, the first a list of network clients and devices, the second and third, who knows. Make sure that in that window that you have file and printer sharing, if not install it and enable it. Make sure you have the right IP settings by finding your NIC card+TCP/IP. Double click on that, make sure you have everything set to obtain address automatically. Press OK, Ok again. Now before you try that go back to the desktop right click on MY Computer, go to properties, go to Computer Name; I believe, look to make sure that the Workgroup names match EXACTLY it will ask you to restart, do that and it should work.If that doesnt work, tell me...

Sorry that is "Set up home or small office network" and thats on the top of the left toolbar. On the second part, if you havent changed it you should see an icon that says "Local Area Connection". And the TCP/IP is just "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). Again double click on that and make sure you have obtain an IP address automatical and ALSO obtain DNS server automaticaly.When you go to look up the workgroup name you will have to click "Change...", go there make sure "Workgroup" is selected, type the same workgroup name in both computers and select ok. Make sure you have a computer name also if you dont have one. DO THIS ON BOTH COMPUTERS,If this doesnt work, you may need to get a net NIC card in one of your comps. If you have a router, make sure you have that set up right. Tell me what happens when you try this.

Guest sbdwag

If you have cables that look like oversize phone jacks connected to eash computer it wont work you need to have both connected to a hub.If on the other hand you are connected with cable that looks like the coax to your tv then you can set up a 10mbps connection peer to peer but in my opinion that wound not be fast enough play Il-2 together.for 45.00 you can get a netgear en104 100 mbps hub that will be fast enought and get yourself a couple of cat5 straight through cables to connect to the hub. Straight through is the usual cable available and it will say if its crossover.Then set one of the computer using tcpip to 192.168.1.10 with a suhnet mask of 255.255.255.0 which will come up automatically in XP and the other to 192.168.0.11 with the same subnet mask''Give both of the computers individual names Then Assign the same workgroup name to both of them just call it mynet or something like that.Reboot both systems and create a shared drive on one of the systems.Then go to the other system and try to map that drive or look for it in network neighborhood. If you see the name of the other computer in the network neighborhood your in.Dennis

Lotsa thanks for the help, well, the really only thing I did not try yet was that DNS stuff, but right now I cannot try it since I am at home not at my brother. However, I could try to execute the network wizard also on the other PC.Thanks a lot bros! :DEtienne