Sign in to follow this  
Highmike

The long and winding road ahead

Guest N6722c

>6722c, all this is fine and dandy, but dont you think there>are more pressing matters to deal with first,...namely>Gamespy, why on earth this >was chosen as the multiplayer interface is beyond me, it is>causing so many problems to so many people, yet I see little>disscusion here>>>I assume it will fall to the community to come up with>something workableCorrect -- all is "fine and dandy" at FS-MP.We all know there is a MAJOR Gamespy connection problem. So Major that there is not a lot of point in labouring it, until we see what measures MS take to fix the problem in SP1.In the meanwhile, life goes on. You do not HAVE to allow the Gamespy issue to dominate your enjoyment of FSX Multiplayer.We have come up with something workable -- FS-MP.com.When (if) Micrososft fix the Gamespy issues, we will obviously be pleased, but if that does not happen, then there are alternatives.The market will decide if FSX Gamespy is workable, and if it is not, then alternatives direct IP solutions will be found. You do not NEED Gamespy to run a Multiplayer session.... it is just a convenient (or at the moment, inconvenient), method to listimg your session to the FS Community.Geoff_Dfs-mp.com

"6722c, all this is fine and dandy, but dont you think there are more pressing matters to deal with first,...namely Gamespy, why on earth this was chosen as the multiplayer interface is beyond me, it is causing so many problems to so many people, yet I see little disscusion here"The alternatives which you may not have considered yet Crusty are either hosting your own multiplayer session with FSHost or locating other FS multiplayer hosts with FSHostSpy. Both of these ingenious utilities are available for free at:http://www.chocolatesoftware.com/fshost/I just had a quick look at FSHostSpy and there were 191 servers online hosting MP sessions none of which had anything to do with Gamespy.Mike.

Mike Beckwith

Guest N6722c
"6722c, all this is fine and dandy, but dont you think there are more pressing matters to deal with first,...namely Gamespy, why on earth this was chosen as the multiplayer interface is beyond me, it is causing so many problems to so many people, yet I see little disscusion here" Mike.
OMG == I thought this topic post was long dead . Good point -- Gamespy has alsmost KILLED FSX MP :( The Gamespy problem was there from day 1. Gamespy said it was a Microsoft issue, Microsoft said it was a Gamespy issue, and nobody stepped up to find the cause of the problem and fix it. SP1 came & went. SP2 came & went ... and now, with no SP3, it looks like FSX is stuck with a Defective Gamespy Interface for ever. However, DIRECT CONNECT works great. The problem using Direct Connect is in letting people know you have a session up and open. What is needed is universally available, announcement system for FSX Direct Connect MP sessions, kind of like FSHOST's FSHOSTSPY. Nice project is anyone was interested. Add Lobby and Game Chat rooms to it and you would have a winner. ( ie The old Zone Software that FS2004 use to use ) In the meanwhile, check out http://fs-mp.com/promo :( Geoff

Guest Alphahawk3
"6722c, all this is fine and dandy, but dont you think there are more pressing matters to deal with first,...namely Gamespy, why on earth this was chosen as the multiplayer interface is beyond me, it is causing so many problems to so many people, yet I see little disscusion here"The alternatives which you may not have considered yet Crusty are either hosting your own multiplayer session with FSHost or locating other FS multiplayer hosts with FSHostSpy. Both of these ingenious utilities are available for free at:http://www.chocolatesoftware.com/fshost/I just had a quick look at FSHostSpy and there were 191 servers online hosting MP sessions none of which had anything to do with Gamespy.Mike.
First let me say I am not a good pilot but I can read and follow rules. I first tried multi-player a few days ago. It was not a connection problem for me. It was the people. I would ask...through the chat....if I could join a session and no one would respond at all. I did find one guy hosting a session at an airport in KY and he answered back and I joined in. I sat on the apron watching him do touch and go for a while and we chatted a little bit. I wish I had paid more attention to which airport we were at becasue it was a nice looking place. I am getting a headset this week and have signed up for VatSim...I don't know how this will work out. I know I am not going to jump into some big airport to start messing things up for people. I only fly small GA and will sit back quietly and learn. I have owned every version of this sim and I have to say I am quite excited about mulit-player or VA flying. Regards