Sign in to follow this  
ShezA

Problems with driver installation

I was running my X800Pro quite happily the other day when I decided to check benchmark among different driver sets. I was running the card on the Omega 2.5.97a and then tested it against the 2.5.90 drivers. Everything was fine and I thought the 97a might be better so decided to uninstall the 90s and install the 97a again and that is where it all went wrong...1) I used the normal method of uninstalling the 90 drivers and the installation files, and used Driver Cleaner 3 to remove remnants2) I installed the 97a and the small Radlinker fix, but this is where windows installer went into a loop on installing Radlinker, and subsequently the drivers are not being recognised.I did the whole process of uninstalling/installing again and no joy, still the same result. Windows does not crash and neither does the screen go blank but the Omega drivers are not being recognised. I am seeing quite a few entries for the X800 series cards in the hardware installation screens and it even loads the driver but then no Radlinker or any of the advanced ATI settings for AA/AF. The installation process is performing as normal except that it asks for the "driver signing" twice for the primary and secondary each (previously once per card).The one other thing I notice is that the VGA driver is not available and the default driver is some "VGA Save" device.Even tried the Catalyst drivers but the AA/AF settings are non-existent.The card otherwise is fine.Anyone have an idea what the trouble is? I would really like to avoid a new installation of Windows!Shez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

Guest SoarPics

Hi Shez,Well, there will be no reinstall of Windows!!First, I'm not sure I understand what this means, "I am seeing quite a few entries for the X800 series cards in the hardware installation screens...". Is that in Device Manager?To be thorough I recommend you do all of the following in sequence:1) Use the Windows Add/Remove function to remove the drivers package, then Radlinker, and finally the drivers Set-up files. When asked to reboot, DON'T.2) In Device Manager Uninstall ALL entries for your X800 Pro.3) Reboot into Safe Mode and use Driver Cleaner to rid the system of the drivers. Then navigate to where the driver folder is kept on your hard drive and delete it. Then empty the Recyle Bin.4) Reboot into Windows and install the drivers as per usual.If the install still doesn't go right then do steps 1-3 again, but now we have to start reinstalling more than just the video drivers. To do this, do steps 1-3 and then:5) After booting into Windows resinstall your motherboard chipset drivers. Reboot.6) Install DirectX. Reboot.7) Now try your video driver install again.Post back here how you get along with it all.GregP.S. Once you get the problem squared away see my post #12 in this thread

Thanks Greg! The reinstallation of the MB drivers did the trick. Strangely the DX reinstallation did not produce any activity and it quickly gave a message that "files are updated". Never mind, all's well that ends well"...Thanks again!Shez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"