Sign in to follow this  

Project Fokker question...

Okay, so I've been hit too many times in the head... I'm a little foggy. I need some help... ;)I d/l'd the excellent Project Fokker models, as well as the panel and sounds. Everything is beautiful.My problem comes on taxi to the runway. I thought I'd done everything I needed to do, but as I'm heading out to the runway, I'm noticing that my elevator trim is at the bottom. Sure enough, the elevator assembly has slumped down in back. I'm thinking this is not normal.Is there some sort of electrical or hydraulic system I missed? I've tried trimming the elevators back to level position, but I can't get them to move past a certain point, and then they slump right back down again. The only way they go back to level is when I take off and climb for about 3,000 feet. The air pressure seems to then "right the ship," but up to that point I'm fighting to keep the nose up. What, oh wise and knowledgeable ones, am I missing (aside from numerous brain cells, lots of money, and a real pilot's license)?Thanks for any help!Rob DieboldNo sig... Bad Pie...:-beerchug

Bump...Any help? Any luck? Anyone out there listening? Hmmm...:-beerchug

Hi Rob,I hope I interpreted your question correctly.I consider myself a novice but I spent many hours, days and weeks learning FS2002 to the point of addiction. So, I may not have the correct terminology. Are you referring to the elevator trim on the tail? If I am incorrect, please accept my apologies in advance for my feeble attempt of responding.I have experienced the same thing and noticed that this happens when I turn on the Autopilot (AP) on the ground before take-off. I spent a long time trying to determine why that was when I discovered after I took off anyways, the plane would pitch down even after the AP altitude was set. By looking at spot view, it appeared that the "elevetor trim" was either up or down which made the flight extremely unstable.One way of correcting this is to not turn AP on until I was in the air. I also ensured that AP is disengaged prior to hitting the runway on landings.Please let me know if I am way off on this one.Regards.

Ah, yes! Thanks for the reply!I do indeed power up the autopilot on the ground. Generally, I set all my altitudes, headings, and speeds, power up the autopilot, but don't engage anything until airborne. I then disengage autopilot once established on final. I'll bet that's the culprit. I'll give it a test tonight and see if that helps.Thanks again!Rob D.No sig... Bad pie...:-beerchug

I actually did the same thing (and continue to do it with other aircrafts) so that I am ready after take off to just click the "hold" settings...Let me know if that was indeed the culprit.A Bientot.

HiI think you'll find the problem comes from powering up the A/P whilst on the ground. How do I know? ;-)Set up the A/P before take off but don't power it up until you get into the air. Also it's a bit more fun to hand fly until you are at a reasonable altitude - in my humble opinion, that is.Gavin

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Thanks guys! That was exactly the problem!I usually hand fly the takeoff to 1,500' AGL like a lot of procedures say to do, but I've always powered up the autopilot and then just flicked switches when the time came. Now I know not to flick the switch too early. Thanks again, y'all!Rob D.No sig... Bad pie...:-beerchug

Not only is hand flying a takeoff fun....it's a lot more realistic. I know of no instance of an AP taking off in real life (other than maybe the military drones :-))

Check the POH on any aircraft and they forbid using the autopilot for takeoff and landing with the exception of a/c that are approved and equipped for autoland Which requires a lot more redundancy in a/p operation. That is true in the RW, frankly I always hand flew jets to at least FL180, just to stay sharp, pretty tough to be smooth if the a/p goes south and you haven't hand flown some by hand.Would not recommend trying to hand fly at high altitudes, at least that was my experience in the RW, even with yaw damper on it was a bear. Of course if the a/o goes south the yaw damper goes with it.