Sign in to follow this  
Guest Wayne Smith

Problem switching from Windowed to Full Screen - 6800 GS card

Guest Wayne Smith

I recently insatalled an EVGA 6800 GC CO video card, and last night, I also installed the new nVidia release version 84.21 WHQL certified drivers. Prior to the driver upgrade, I was using the 82.12 drivers that came on the CD with the adapter. I have a dual display configuration with a CRT as primary and a LCD flat panel (in analog mode) as secondary display. I am using nVidia DualView mode, both displays set for 1600 X 1200 X 32, but with different refreash rates (85 Hz on CRT and 60 Hz on LCD). My system is a P4 3.4 Ghz with 1 GB of RAM, and running Win XP SP2 and Direct X 9.0C with all the latest patches from MS.I am experiencing the following problem:If you start FS2004 (verion 9.1) in full screen mode, both displays are functional. If you switch to Windowed mode, both displays are still functional. However, if you then try to switch back to full screen mode, FS2004 appears to hang for about 30 - 45 seconds, and then full screen mode comes back. However, you have then lost the use of your second display. If you then quit FS2004, the second display will no longer be functional on the Windows desktop. I have found that I need to either reboot, or switch to another dual display mode in the nVidia control panel (such as Horizontal Span) and then back to DualView mode to regain the use of the second display.The above behavior was also observed with the 82.12 drivers that shipped with the EVGA card. Has anyone else seen this, and does anyone know of a workaround or fix? Any other problems that you have observed with the 6800 GS CO? For example, I am also seeing slow performance drawing the screen when I switch from FS9 cockpit view to FSNav using the F9 toggle.Thanks!WayneMetro One / NMH01Metro Helicopters VAwww.metrohelo.org

Guest UlfB

Hi Wayne,I have exactly the same problem with my 7800GTX card. There have been some threads about this and other problems with FS9 and nVIDIAs 8x-drivers. Do a search on this forum and you'll find the threads.I use nVIDIA 77.77 drivers and have no problems, but I don't know if your card is supported by the 77.77 drivers. Other people recommend the 81.98 drivers.Ulf B

Guest Wayne Smith

The first version of the drivers that support the 6800 GS card are the 82.12's. Also, FYI - the 81.98 drivers do not support the 6800 GS card on an AGP bus - only on the PCI-E bus.I installed the latest release drivers from nVidia that came out on March 17th, and am still experiencing this problem. So, I am waiting for the next release to see if it is addressed.

Guest ScottPilot

Does Nvidia even know about this issue?? It hasn't been fixed since the first 80's series drivers.I have an older Geforce 5700 card and have the same problem when using any of the 80's series drivers.I am still using the 77.77 driver because of this issue.However, if you turn of Antialaising, then the 80 series drivers work just fine switching from Windowed back to full screen. It is definately a problem with the AA in the 80 series drivers.I run MSFS at 1024 X 760 so AA being enabled at 4X is necessary to get rid of the jaggies and I can't do that using the 80 series drivers. So for now I am stuck using the 77.77 drivers.Scott :-roll ATP/CFII/DA20 Type Rated - Instructor Pilot - USAFA (KAFF), Colorado Springs, CO & at KCOSAOPA #00956593, since 1987Background in Corporate, Airline, and General AviationB.S. Degree in Computer Information SystemsGamming System Specs: (Built this one myself)AMD Athlon-64 3000+ Overclocked to 2.35 GHZGigabyte K8NS nForce3-250 Chipset 8x AGP Main Board 2GB DDR400 PC3200 Memory 160GB 7200 rpm Hard Drive 16x DVD-ROM Audigy 2ZS Gammer Sound Card5.1 Channel Surround Sound Speakers256MB GeForce-5700 8X AGP Video Forceware 77.77 driversDual 17" LCD and CRT monitorsCotytech Gaming CaseCH Products Yoke, Rudder Pedals, Throttle QuadrantSaitek Cyborg Gold Joystic for Helo's & Stick equipped aircrafteDimensional AudioFX force feedback vibration headsets & micWindows XP Pro SP2Home Network for using the Instructor StationFS9COF Sliders maxed with other settings at their best quality positionsASVRadar Contact 4Reality XP Guages

Same issue here with a 6800GT. I stick to driver version 78.01 for now even if other applications I use have issues fixed in newer versions. Has anyone checked on how we can submit the issue to nvidia?