Sign in to follow this  
Guest Katana750

DVD ROM drive will not recognize FSX Discs

Guest Katana750

I have been reading posts for the past three days obsessed with getting my $70 deluxe version installed to no avail.To start I have a VPR Matrix 180R 1.8 Ghz P4, 1,024 MB of system RAM with a NVidia FX5700LE 128 MB card. My DVD ROM is a factory installed 16x Liteon Model# LTD-163D.So far I have tried all of Microsoft's setup troubleshooting including the clean boot, temp file contents deletion, creating a new user account, safe mode strategy, Xcopy function, cleaning the drive, etc.In addition I have uninstalled PowerDVD and WinDVD. I updated the drivers on the motherboard. I could not find any updated drivers for the DVD ROM drive. I made sure my drives are set for DMA mode, not PIO, though I have no idea what that means. I can run any other game with absolutely no problem, but FSX will only spin as normal, but no installation begins. The option to copy the files to the hard drive and then install is not viable as I can't see a single file on the E: drive. This also causes the system to lock up and forces me to reboot via holding in the power button which I hate to do, but I have no other options at that point.I have called the MS support line and have a case number, but after an hour and a half on hold, I had to let it go. I'll keep trying that route, but I am pleading for any assistance beyond what's in the forums already. If I missed a post relating to this condition, kindly let me know where it is as I've done my best to be thorough prior to writing a new post. Thanks.

Guest Valkyrie321

Does your DVD have any issues installing any other software? A guy a day or so ago had found his DVD-ROM actually was bad.... I have had that experience myself (although not with FSX.)If you have a backup DVD, I would throw it in there and see what happens.

Same thing happened to me, I was patient unfortunatly and waited on hold. But i solved the problem, one of the technicians told me to go to the start menu click run and then type msconfig then press ok. After that click on selective startup and make sure that none of the boxes are unchecked except for the , then go to the services tab and the startup tab and make sure all of those boxes are unchecked. Then restart your computer, and then after installing restart again but make sure you run the mscofig again in normal startup. I don't know if I explained it well, but the guy on the phone said it was probably a problem of windows just trying to run too many unecessary programs or something.Rob

Guest Katana750

Thanks for you ideas. I tried them and unfortunately they did not work, BUT, I took a $35 gamble on a new DVD ROM drive and success!!I even made it through the activation with no problem. I must say, for an older machine, I can't run high detail, but this is a huge upgrade from FS 2002! I never tried FS2004, but from my point of view, I can't see what everyone is complaining about...This is flying the way it should be!Thanks again for your help!

Guest KaelOost

I had the same problem. But my DVD/RW runs fine with everything else. It just has problems with the FSX discs. I ended up using a second computer to to copy them thru a network cable to my FS PC and instaled from the HDD.Stil, I'm a little confused...

Guest tasnvs

HiWell I had the same problem and I found the if I removed theNero burning program and also the In cd program then everythingworked OKJust disabling the programs would not workCheers NOrman