Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jack

Misleading downloads...

There's two new files in the library, both 14+ megs, which seem a bit misleading. I wanted to suggest people think twice before downloading them, and suggest to the "author" that he credit people who created the work.The first is advertised as a Air Canada 737-300 by Ben Henke... In fact, it uses the Yeodesigns 737-200 model and FDE. The second is advertised as a Southwest 737 (Same author), when in fact the model is the FS2002 default.I encourage authors to:a--Give credit to the designer of the aircraft in the Download description.b--Label something as a repaint in their description, when in fact that's what it is (at least the SW 737 appeared in the repaints category).c--Do what they can to limit download size, by leaving out files we already have on our systems.I believe Avsim should pull these from its library, until the original work within can be repackaged by the author.-John

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

(SOAPBOX MODE ON)I feel sorry for the poor guysgals overseas and elsewhere that pay by the minute for internet use and have downloaded those two files.The Air Canada one has about 5 meg of poor .bmp photos and is nothing but a yeodesign model.I checked the southwest one this morning and it's nothing but a piece of junk default model. The panel just blocked out the entire screen. The included sounds are availabe anywhere. The aircraft config file contains listing for 8 aircraft but there is only 1 texture directory. My 5 year old grandson could have done a better paint job with 2 cans of $3.00 spraypaint from K-Mart.A very poor package for someone to download. A pure waste of time and online use.I would be ashamed of myself if I ever uploaded junk like that. If I was to upload something with MY NAME on it, you bet it would be a quality item.(SOAPBOX MODE OFF)I am broadband so it doesn't really matter to me. I tried them both and just shook my head as I deleted them both within 5 minutes.

Your suggestion would be more appropriately sent to our library managers at library@avsim.com rather than posted here. Not all of us frequent the forums more than once a day.

As a follow-up to this thread, the response from James stunned me. It simply stated that the aircraft were in the repaints section. It's a shame that that alone justifies their being included in the library. They are clearly not presented as repaints by their "author", and one of the files was moved to the repaints section after my post here.I hope Avsim offers more protection to all of us who share files...I have nothing against repaints, but it'd be great for original work to be recognized. And, one of the files in question (the SWA file) includes Microsoft's own copyrighted files. James can do his own thing, but I would have at least liked a "thank you"...

John,A hearty "Thank You" for your warning! Saved my ancient modem some unnecessary exercise. Oops--almost forgot! BumpJackD