Sign in to follow this  

I know everyone is probably getting pretty sick of these questions but after much searching I am unable to find out whether it is worth getting FSX for use on the following system:-Athlon 3000+XP (333)2 x 512MB PC3200 RAM (U/C - 333)XFX 7600GT 256MB AGPSB Audigy 2I have just upgraded GFX card from 6600GT 128mb which has helped in loads of games although not a huge difference in FS 2004 which runs OKish with tons of addons such as FSG mesh, Ultimate Terrain, Active Sky etc etc. Would I get better visuals & similar performance if I install FSX or not?

Guest mph

Try the demo version of FSX, and turn the environmental settings up as much as your system will allow.Here's a link to the FSX Demo: http://www.fsinsider.com/Although, I would run FSX on a second hard drive and put all the FS programming on just the one drive. If I could partition the system drive I would make a partition space for the swap file, and then go into the advanced settings and consider adjusting the performance settings. However, any setting adjustment would be based upon the system performance report, as indicated in the task manager when reading the peak values of how much memory is in use when the program is running at its optimal level on the system in use. But, in doing so I would verify the size of the swap file the system has already allocated to see just how close the system is running to its virtual memory capacity. This is the point where a second hard drive with its own cache can keep the speed of the memory up to system speed and avoid/reduce overloads. I'm not exactly right in my technical know how but I have managed to run older systems at farily good rates of performance and running the simulator is a good challenge.Lastly, before installing FSX on any system, I would think to uninstall any previous version and then before installing the new version run the Microsoft utility that sweeps the operating system and cleans the hard drive of corrupt system files, or ones no longer in use. The utilty program takes a few hours to run and it can be found here: Would you like to check the health of your PC?Windows Live Safety Center is a new service designed to help ensure the health of your PC. Run Microsoft's Full Service Scan now http://safety.live.com/site/en-US/default.htm(BTW, That's one of the best utility programs they've ever provided for system maintenance...)