Sign in to follow this  
Jacbert

MS Flight Simulator 2004 and Radeon 9250

I have recently purchased a ATI Radeon 9250 to use in my Dell Dimensions 2400 desktop. I wanted to be able to use the 3D clouds available in MS Flight Simulator 2004 at a reasonable frame rate. The problem is that the fog and visibility function is not working properly. This is one of the nicest thing in MSFS 2004, it would diffuse the horizon even at 20 or 30 miles visibility or obscure a runway at 1/4 mile vis. Now what I get is at 1 mile ore less I get a very dense 1/4 mile visibility and is I raise it to 2 miles I get a sharp, blue field with no fog like diffusion; very unrealistic. If I set it the visibility to 10 miles I can see mountains 10 miles away clear and sharp. It is like going back to FS 98.I have downloaded the latest driver set from ATI, 6-11-pre-r300_xp-2k_dd_ccc_wdm_38185.exe, and loaded it last night to no avail. I have been through all the settings in MSFS 2004.I am hoping to get some advice on what I might try next.Dell Dimensions 24002.7 GiG, Pentium 4 processor768 MB Mem.80 GB hard driveIntegrated Intel 3D Extreme Graphics (disabled)PCI BusAddedATI Radeon 9250 256MB PCI video adapterJackjacbert@triton.net

the 92xx, 96xx, 97xx are *very* weak cards.. i wouldn't expect much out of them. Have you tried the omega drivers? They usually fix a lot of issues.. i've never been happy with the official catalyst from ati (any version).

It is what I can afford, and I would not excpect it to be weaker than the integrated graphics on the mother board, and they did well with the fog.I will look into the drivers you mentioned. Where can I get them?Jack

Guest RonB49

>I have recently purchased a ATI Radeon 9250 to use in my Dell>Dimensions 2400 desktop. I wanted to be able to use the 3D>clouds available in MS Flight Simulator 2004 at a reasonable>frame rate. The problem is that the fog and visibility>function is not working properly. This is one of the nicest>thing in MSFS 2004, it would diffuse the horizon even at 20 or>30 miles visibility or obscure a runway at 1/4 mile vis. Now>what I get is at 1 mile ore less I get a very dense 1/4 mile>visibility and is I raise it to 2 miles I get a sharp, blue>field with no fog like diffusion; very unrealistic. If I set>it the visibility to 10 miles I can see mountains 10 miles>away clear and sharp. It is like going back to FS 98.>>I have downloaded the latest driver set from ATI,>6-11-pre-r300_xp-2k_dd_ccc_wdm_38185.exe, and loaded it last>night to no avail. I have been through all the settings in>MSFS 2004.>>I am hoping to get some advice on what I might try next.>Hi Jack,When I was using a 9200, I had to place the line "TableFog=0" into the FS9.cfg config file. When I was finished, my Display.Device section looked like this:[DISPLAY.Device.VISIONTEK Xtasy 9200SE PCI (Omega 2.6.87)]Mode=1024x768x32TableFog=0That fixed the problem for me.I would also suggest that you look at Omega drivers. And while you're at that site (I believe the URL is www.driverheaven.net), see what he says about ATI driver support for their older cards. You may need to user older drivers not newer ones.R-

Thanks for that input. I was using the drivers that came with the card, I belive they were from 2004. Would they need to be older than that?Jack

Guest RonB49

I belive they were from 2004. Would they need to beolder than that?No, those are old enough but go to the Omega site and read about drivers. You may find some that you like better. R-

Hello there Don't be put of by the usual crowd of my Gcard is Bigger than yours brigade.I used a Radeon 9200 and found it to be very good.In fact i only upgraded to a Geforce 6 card because of the ever present urge for smoother and faster running etc and to be honest i haven't really noticed any great difference.Any i digress, there is a fix for your fog haze problem i know because i used it.but i cant remember where i got it from BUT! iam sure if you type radion 9200 9250 fog haze fix for FS9 or suchlike into google it should hopefully come up with the goods.Cheers Andy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

All is well, thanks to everyone who helped! I modified the display.cfg file to have the following lines.And Shazam! It works great. I also installed the Omega driversrad_w2kxp_omega_38252_7z.exe and increased my frame rates.for $80 US I think this is a great little card. The graphics are outstanding, well except for the water looks kinda funky sometimnes. I really appreciate the FS comunity on the web, There is almost always an answer!(Added to display.cfg);---------------------------------------------------------------------- ; ATI Radeon Win2k/XP ;---------------------------------------------------------------------- [ati2dvag.dll] Disable=1 TableFog=0 [ati2dvag.dll.1] MinDriverRev=5.13.01.3102 Disable=2 TableFog=0Thanks Again! N248K is no longer a factor!Jack Hulbert

$80 for a Radeon 9250??Dude, you got screwed. For that price you can get a Geforce 6600GT, which beats the pants off a Radeon 9250. If you're short on cash, you should definitely not buy from a retail store, but from online stores like newegg.com or tigerdirect.comGlad that you like it anyway!Pat