Sign in to follow this  
Guest ScottPilot

FS2002 sucks after installing Windows XP

Guest ScottPilot

Wow! I'm surprised that you even considered putting Windows XP on a PII 450mhz system!Your system specs are just too low for FS and Windows XP to run well! Yes, they will run, but not with great performance.I have a PIII 1GHZ, 512MB Ram, Geforce 4 vid. card system that I built running Windows XP Pro and MSFS, and I just barely get the desired performance that I need.I use a MS sidewinder force feedback joystick (game port version) and the CH Products yoke and rudder pedals (both USB) and have had no problem with them under Windows XP.Anytime you upgrade to a new OS, you will have to spend some time tweaking it to get it running as well as your old system.Also, I had problems in the past with a SCSI card that I had installed on my system with Win XP, so I took it out and it cleared up many of the performance problems. If I were you, I would have went with a USB 2.0 card and then bought a USB 2.0 CD Burner. There just as fast as the SCSI type and won't hinder Windows performance.I have SP1 installed and it has not affected my system negatively at all. In fact, it has fixed many issues that I was having after first installing Windows XP.I would suggest that you consider building a new system (motherboard, RAM, CPU upgrade). I built mine for around $450.I am building another system right now that will utilize a P4 chip to get better performance out of FS.Don't mean to be too harsh in this post, but it still amazes me that people are trying to run newer simulation software on older computers, and still expect great performance out of them!Scott :-eek

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Guest Dominik Mann

>To satisfy your curiosity, why don't you go to Start/Run and >type msconfig in the box and hit Enter? Or you could try >Help and see if it comes up in the index; it's amazing what >can be found using the Help link. Well, I found out that Win 2K does not have an utility like msconfig, but thanks for hinting me upon this part of the Help function anyway :D .

Guest Ron Freimuth

>Thanks for the suggestions. I guess its too late for the >Service Pack :( >>as far as the processor, when I get the money... I'm running FS2K2 under Win2000 with a PII at 467 MHz and also 384 MB RAM. Runs fine. Even with my 8 MB TNT Vanta 3D card. Sliders are at about 50% and I also locked the fps at "10.0". You might set XP to favor 'foreground apps' if there is a setting for that. >On another note, the problems with the strange pausing >phenomenon *and* the joystick have both fixed themselves. >strange huh? Typical of compex systems. I use the USB Sidewinder drivers W2K provides with no problems. I gotta get a faster system, but can't figure out what to get. Things have gotten too complicated. ;)Ron