Sign in to follow this  

A/C design, gmax, FS2002 Pro....

*crawls out of the primordial goo* Hi, I'm the...newest newbie.Anyway, I got FS2002 PE for one reason: I'm someone who could never figure out CAD or any sort of drawing software, has hordes of A/C designs in my head, and needed something to work them out (and test them, and get data on them...) with. (Did I mention I'm half-blind? Yeah, FS is kinda my last hope.) It's just the way I am: If I can, I'm quite happy to lock myself down and fiddle with weird designs all day, without a hint of education or even half a clue.:-)So, I install FS. I then install gmax. After all, I remember people saying that was how you created flyable aircraft for this thing.So, er...What am I missing?How DO I create flyable A/C?What do I need (Please, God, let it be free....FS kinda broke my bank for a LONG time...)?And, so forth.:-)See, told ya I was a newbie.:-)

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Welcome to the FS2002 clan. I hope you are enjoying your experience with the flight sim so far. How do you create aircraft? Well, yes it is free but heres what you have to do: Strip down to your boxers/briefs, paint yourself with strange and unusual patterns, put your hair into an outrageous, never before seen style, grab the biggest skillet you have and a spatula, light your room with nothing but candles (a nightlight or two is okay) then chant the almighty chorus, dance around crazily, and bang the skillet with the spatula to summon a fs plane on gmax, which is the window to the fs plane underworld. The longer you do this ritual, the better your fs plane will be. See for example, the new 777 by Mel. He did this ritual for many many months to summon this plane, only stopping to eat rice cakes and sleep 4 hours at a time. So this.... is how you make an fs plane.Or you can just spend ALOT of time learning how to work in GMAX, which is free, of course. :)

I'd say post your question in the A/C design forum. Lot's of tidbits of help there for new designers. The short answer is if you've FS2002 Pro and have installed everything correctly, you don't have to spend another dime in order to start making FS aircraft. The long answers are found in the A/C design forum....-John

Well if you installed GMAX properly and you can open it up, I would start off by doing the tutorials (they have to be installed as well). Once you go through some of the tutorials, you'll see how things work within GMAX and you can start building. Mind you this will take more than a day or two and with the exception of a good paint program, everything you'll need you either already have or is free. Once you build your plane, it will need some animation and the SDK will come in handy (available at http://zone.msn.com/flightsim/). Also read just about every message you can find that has to do with designing aircraft in this Forum, the Aircraft and Panel Design Forum and the Freeflight Design Forum located at.....http://www.aerodynamika.com/cgi-bin/freeflight.cgi. You can also open up and look at the sample aircraft that MS provided with GMAX, to see how they did it (located in the sample folder within GMAX). And once your hooked, you'll spend just about every waking moment on it.....Rick Sasala