Sign in to follow this  
Guest BAW083

50% FSB.

Guest BAW083

While having a wander through my CMOS i noticed the FSB to be set at 50% with the option of either leaving it as it was (default), 0% or 100%.Should i turn it up?

Guest PaulL01

>While having a wander through my CMOS i noticed the FSB to >be set at 50% with the option of either leaving it as it was >(default), 0% or 100%. >Should i turn it up?Chris,This makes no sense, in the BIOS for your MB you should/might have an option for 100/133/166 (200/266/333) FSB, you also might have available FSB speeds of 133-250 but at stock you should be running 166 for your XP, if it is a 333Fsb version or 133 for 266ver.But with your slow memory it is probably set at 266 or at best some very slow timings @ 333, you might want to get back to your vendor and ask why they gave you slow memory as your chip is designed to run with good PC3200 and it is holding your system back.To get high fsb speeds you need very good/fast (like XMS3200 or better) memory and when going past 200fsb you will have to increase Voltage to the memory (Vdimm) and you will likely have to lower the clock multiplyer for the CPU or have to maually "unlock" it to increas to voltage (T-bred-Bs) so that it will run at a higher frequency.It is not wise to mess with this if you don't know what you are doing. (!!!)But the new T-bred-B chips are good OverClockers!what exactly did you find and where?BTW, you have a killer rig! :)

I also have a board based on the nForce2 chipset. Mine is a Chaintech 7NJS. I don't know your BIOS. But I have set my fully unlocked Athlon XP 2400+ to multiplier 12, clock 183MHz (so CPU internal speed is 12x183~2.2GHz) and memory frequency to 'sync'. This means the memory is also running at 183MHz. In case of a dual-channel memory setup this is the best option for maximum speed and performance. I also have 512MB, but it is setup as 2x256MB dual-channel. This is faster than 1 512MB module. Though this is not a simple yes or no answer, I hope it is of some use.

Guest PaulL01

>I also have a board based on the nForce2 chipset. Mine is a >Chaintech 7NJS. I don't know your BIOS. But I have set my >fully unlocked Athlon XP 2400+ to multiplier 12, clock >183MHz (so CPU internal speed is 12x183~2.2GHz) and memory >frequency to 'sync'. This means the memory is also running >at 183MHz. In case of a dual-channel memory setup this is >the best option for maximum speed and performance. I also >have 512MB, but it is setup as 2x256MB dual-channel. This is >faster than 1 512MB module. Though this is not a simple yes >or no answer, I hope it is of some use. According to most memory testing and as Corsair plainly states:"one 512mb module is faster then 2 256mb modules of the same speed"What are your sources for your info?Thanks. :)

Guest BAW083

No. Its 2700 at 333mhz and the initial screen when the system starts up says memroy at 166mhz.That option of 100, 133 and 166 is there but this is another option, on "Advanced Chipset" i think but it's deinitly there.Theres too many options.At the minute everything is on "Optimal" but there is the option to set performance in general as "Aggressive", or to "Customise" it and start settign certain components at different rates.