Sign in to follow this  
Guest Lobaeux4

Another video card question

Guest Lobaeux4

Is there a limit to the number of video cards you can install. I've got a GF3, a GF2, and a monster fusion that now works. Only problem is, now my main monitor has the shakes, very imperceptible, but I can tell they're there. I've got one monitor to the side and one to the top, to display throttle and overhead views. Now, with the monster fusion, I've got a little shaking to my main monitor. The overhead monitor isn't on, or even plugged in.Any ideas what's happening?Lobaeux

Lobaeux,You have some of the most interesting posts. Possible causes for the shakes:Placing one monitor on top of another could cause the shakes with the rickity monitor base on the bottom monitor is overloaded!:-eek :-lolPlacing the monitors close together may require shielding from one another! Get a large piece of cardboard and cover it with aluminum foil, take a test lead with alligator clips and attach one to the aluminum shield and another to a convienant ground to see if it eliminates the shakes.Lastly, you could be having the same kind of EMI internally to your computer that is causing the shakes, especially if the three cards are close to each other. You can try moving them further apart. You could also try making a shield internally. Caution, don't let the shield touch anything except the ground point and don't block cooling fans or you will have COOKED cards!:-eekAlso check how many of the cards are using the same IRQs or are sharing IRQs with other peripherals.

Guest Lobaeux4

LOL, wsieffert and I'm always looking for replies from you, as you seem to be one of the more knowledgable and gentlemanly posters here.I've got the monitor sitting about 6 inches above the other monitor on a shelf, not touching the monitor below. I'll try the cardboard with aluminum foil bit, it might not look pleasing to my wife's eye though. The video card bit may be a moot point. I'm expecting my new mobo today, so this may make things easier. Plus, I've confiscated my son's computer to use as a second 'WideFS' computer to run all the extra's. This hobby is slowly but surely taking over my life, lol.Lobaeux