Sign in to follow this  
Guest GAflyer

Radios, Navs and Stacks - Any ideas?

Guest GAflyer

Having completed a rather neat looking Cessna 172 panel we are now looking to add some radio equipment. Problems is that after the build funds are tight to say the least! Can anyone recommend some good low cost nav hardware - enough to make instrument approaches without having to rely on the screen based radio stack and that looks the part? What do forum members use?At the same time, if anyone in the UK or near continent has a second hand stack I'd be interested to hear from them!Any or all of the following would be useful: NAV1/2 & COMM1/2, ADF, & DME.Thanks in advance for you thoughts and ideas.

Guest acolvard

Well, the best and most authentic while being farily low cost solution is the Goflight GF-166 @ $149. I use this and it is a near perfect solution. I also have a gf-46 and RP48 which gives autopilot and other functions to eliminate almost all mouse usage. See goflightinc.com.Desktopaviator.com has a Nav/Com for $99 but does not use an LCD display.The third solution is to build your own using and I/O controller and rotary encoders. I am recreating the G1000 using this method. This method will cost about the same amount of $$$ as the Goflight module but you will get a lot more for the same price. The G1000 I am building will have all those functions plus about 20 other switches for lights, pitot heat, alt air, etc will still costing about $150. It does require labor and design time but these soltuions are completely customizable. You can located the switches where you want them. I am using the Gammatron from Beta Innovation for my I/O controller. It is not that difficult.

Guest GAflyer

Hi Anthony,Thanks for your thoughts. I think we will have to go down the GoFlight route in the end but I wanted to see what other ideas there may be. Richard

Hi Richard,I've used GoFlight kit for about 6 years now and it's high quality kit. Yes, it is expensive but not too bad when compared to PFC gear aimed at professional simulators.Think of it as a long-term investment as it's not dependent on any one release of FS. And you can buy the rack plus a couple of units and add to it as funds allow.See my sig for details of my kit.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather