Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest wolf47

Reposted Nvidia 175.19

Has anyone tried out the reposted 175.19 drivers from nVidia? If so what was the changes from the last time they were put up on the nVidia site.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

My understanding was the orig drivers were missing the program profiles (XP Only). Vista drivers were okay and still work great for me!Jim

The original drivers were pulled for poor performance:"As I have previously mentioned in this article, it's my belief that drivers should improve stability and performance with each new revision. Now, one could argue (if they had the data) that NVIDIA enhanced stabililty at the expense of performance. That someone would probably be playing Devils advocate, because I can't believe any reasonable person would decide that very good stability raised to extremely good should result in very good performance dropping to fair. This kind of argument also doens't explain why 3dMark06 would see a 55% reduction in performance between driver versions. Of course, I will have to reiterate for the ump-teenth time that all Forceware drivers were uninstalled using the Add/Remove programs interface, and then Driver Cleaner Pro was utilized to remove any remaining traces. I have to repeat all of this, because of the hordes of "readers" who don't bother to actually read. So now that this information is on nearly half the pages of the article, I should only receive half the hate mail from visitors claiming I should use Driver Cleaner Pro. Anyway... It's not up to me to make decisions for you. I know that as a hardware reviewer, benchmark scores are worth their weight in gold because of the time spent on gathering them. If one tiny driver revision changes the entire table of scores, then there's very good reason for concern. For me, as a reviewer, I have to be careful now that I not test with the Forceware v175.19 driver as I benchmark ATI's Radeon HD 4850 and 4870. All of my GeForce GTX and 9800 series benchmarks were conducted with the 175.16 driver, and that's what I will use for future comparison in the coming articles. But I'm not the only one who should be alarmed: you should be, too. My money doesn't get spent on video cards, since most manufactures will loan the websites a sample to test that gets returned or exchanged for another. So when it comes to reading the reviews out on the web, you'll want to make sure they disclose the full details of the test methodology. Most website mention the brand and model of the product, but often times it's nearly impossible to figure out which driver they're using. This doesn't mean that the benchmark results on other sites are wrong, but it does mean you should be wary of those who are unaware of the impact that Forceware 175.19 has on video cards like the 9800 GTX and GX2. Ultimately though, you don't even have to take my word for it. Go benchmark the two driver versions yourself. 3dMark06 offers a trail version (to the best of my knowledge), and Driver Cleaner Pro is available for free from our affiliate driverheaven.net. After all I've done my homework and it's your time and money at stake, not mine. Questions? Comments? Benchmark Reviews really wants your feedback. We invite you to leave your remarks in our Discussion Forum. EDITORS NOTE: I apologize that this article did not get more involved with control panel changes and other benchmark results, but my time was cut very short due to unexpected travel. UPDATE 06/27/08: Thank you to forum member slickric21 who points out that others are producing similar results with Forceware 175.19. He mentions several other discussions in his post, which identify missing profiles in this version of the driver. Read more about this issue in our FPS Impact: NVIDIA Forceware 175.16 vs 175.19 discussion thread. UPDATE 06/27/08: Only one day after this article was published, NVIDIA has pulled the Forceware 175.19 driver from its website and re-published the version 175.16 driver. Benchmark Reviews agrees with their decision, as the Forceware 175.16 worked considerably well in all of our tests. UPDATE 07/07/08: Since this article has published, NVIDIA has pulled the v175.19 driver and then later re-posted it. Presently the 175.16 driver is available to the open public. It would be my advice to wait for an entirely new driver that doesn't wear the 175.19 name"