Sign in to follow this  
hawkhero

How much does overclocking help?

I have FSX running at JFK with dence seanery and normal auto gen, atc traffic at 40% other sliders are mid range. 10-15 fpm at JFK- in flight up to 50+. I am running a Q9300 cpu on a EVGA 780i board with 8mb of ram. 800 watt power supply. two 512mb 9800GTX in SLI mode cards. How much more could I gain by overclocking the cpu? Any help would be great, I am new at this,GregGreg Moorehttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpghttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/for...argo_hauler.gif

Guest D17S

It'll net about 1:1. For instance, the Q93 had a 7.5 multiplier. The highest Front Side Buss (FSB) you want to run 24/7 is 400Mhz. So 400 x 7.5 will drive the CPU to 3.0Ghz. The CPU's default speed is 2.5, so you can expect a 20% increase in FPS at Any set of settings you might chose. FS does not need (nor can it use) near that Vcard capacity, so you can disable SLI and run a couple of extra monitors on that 2nd Vcard without effecting FS performance. Just an option.That 780 board is a big ???, but try setting the FSB to 400 and see if it boots. It's such a mild overclock, it might go there with the stock heatsink and default CPU voltage (Vcore).

Guest ziporama

Yes, SLI probably slows you down with FSX more than anything, although you have a slight chance if you're running in SLI FSAA mode at high resolution. Running a single card, or one card per monitor is a better option.FSX is rather CPU bound, so whatever you can do to speed up memory and CPU throughput, the better.I did get a near linear increase in FPS (~+30%) by moving my CPU up by 33%.This said, FSX will bring down my 4GHz QX9650 (+33% OC) to its knees anywhere you have a lot of AI traffic and the absolute frame rate killer, the dreaded animated jetway. Clouds, weather and scenery maxed out won't do much damage.Bottom line, whatever you can do to speed up that CPU will help with having more AI type stuff around.There are plenty of good overclocking guides out there, just be safe with voltages as there are some pretty crazy setups out there (my favorite being the oil bath). Cheers,Etienne