Sign in to follow this  
Guest fourthtime

new battery and memory?

Guest fourthtime

Hi all, I have just discovered my laptop computer needs a new battery and memory chips. I have put a lot of work into my fs2004 with add on sceneries and stuff like that. The question I have is will putting in a new battery and memory cause any problems with the game. I know nothing about computers and although this seems like any easy thing to do, I am still worried about screwing something up. There is no going back if I mess stuff up. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Are you talking about a new hard drive or ram. The battery wont affect anything as all you data is stored on the hard drive. The memory is where your programees are run and are empty when the pc is switched off. If you are replacing your harddrive you are going to have to reinstall everything again, but if its only the ram( i cant see why you would need to they dont usually fail ) it wont be a problem. The battery is only there for when you dont have mains power and as long as you are connected to mains you dont even have to have it plugged in, although it does make for a good backup for when the power drops out, as the laptop will switch to it automatically and you wont even notice, actually that may not be true as my laptop goes slightly less bright when on battery..A power saving feature. Its a good time to start learning about pc's.

Guest fourthtime

It's only the battery that I need. I just figured what the heck and buy some extra ram. I just noticed one day the computer just went dead without being plugged in and the computer says the battery could not be found. I have the new battery and extra ram sitting on the table, I'm just not ready to go through with it before getting some advice, thank you.

No probe just pull out the old battery and put in the new one and let it fully charge before you run it on battery. And as for your ram you will find there is only one spare slot usually in a laptop, just make sure you have no power on before you replace it and that you line the little slot up when you insert it. The laptop should automatically detect it , it may go to the bios screen but thats ok just exit and it will be ok.

Guest fourthtime

Ok, thanks. I will try it tommorow.