Sign in to follow this  
Guest vgallop

O/C Q9450

Guest vgallop

Hey All.I've been a lurker more than a poster here, but had some questions about O/C'ing my new system. I was more worried about memory and the auto features ruining my system (possible over voltage, etc).SpecsQ9450Zalman CNPS9700 LEDASUS P5E3 Premium/wifi-ap (Bios 0402)4gb OCZ Reaper DDR3-10666Sapphire 4870OCZ GAMEXSTREAM 600W36Gb Raptor (OS)2x 500GB Seagate (Raid 0)Antec 900 caseVista Home Premium 64I am not trying to blow it out of the water with the O/C. I was just looking for a little over 3GHz if possible. I have been reading many forums (overclockers,extremesystems) including here as this is my FS system. It just seems that the more I read the more worried I get (this would be my first o/c). I was more worried about memory (correct settings), the auto features (in the BIOS) ruining my system (possible over voltage, vid card nuked, etc). Sorry for the questions, just looking for some advice more than anything. Thanks :)

I just set the memory voltage manually, same with CPU.I used the Intel info to find the max voltage.http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLAWRQ9450 shows Max voltage of 1.3625.You can check on your memory box/case for the its voltage.I used CPUz to find the default CPU voltage, and used it to start.Q9450's FSB is 333x4 default, so I would start at 350 FSB or so and increase,once Prime95 errors found then increase the CPU voltage keeping under Intel's min.Use a good cooler when o'c the quads.Keep reading, don't start until your ready, but once you do its really not that difficult.

Typing error above, the default is 333x8 for your CPU.I'd try 350 then work up to 400 keeping an eye on temps, errors and voltages.

Guest vgallop

Thanks for the advice. The confusion for me lies in the FSB settings in relation to the memory. If the mem I have is made for a max of 333FSB, Can I still up the FSB?