Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest SuperFortress

Which video card?

A friend of mine has a system that is similar to mine. He is looking to purchase a new video card and asked me for a recommendation. This is a system that is primarily used for FSX. At first I was going to recommend the card that I have which is the 8800GTS but then after seeing the latest article on Tom's Hardware I was a little confused. I remember seeing the same article just a couple of months ago where it showed that the GTX 280 was far from the best performer in FSX however Tom's latest review point to the GTX 280 as being the best choice for FSX. Does this basically mean that the drivers were drastically improved over a couple of months and ultimately would you guys all say that the best choice for FSX is the GTX 280? Thank you.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

The GTX280 is a nice card for FSX and other games.Just depends on what one wants to spend.I went from a 8800GTS 640MB to the GTX280 and I cant say I see big differences in FSX, but I do in Crysis.The die shrunk GTX280 is going to be released next week , it should at the least run cooler then the current one, maybe faster too.Toms reviews are all over the map with FSX, I gave up on using them.

>The GTX280 is a nice card for FSX and other games.>>Just depends on what one wants to spend.>>I went from a 8800GTS 640MB to the GTX280 and I cant say I see>big differences in FSX, but I do in Crysis.>>The die shrunk GTX280 is going to be released next week , it>should at the least run cooler then the current one, maybe>faster too.>>Toms reviews are all over the map with FSX, I gave up on using>them.I agree, I wouldn't expect a dramatic difference goin from an 8800GTS to a GTX 280 but from what I keep hearing is mostly about smoothness not FPS. I do agree that smoothness is very important when it comes to FSX. So then I guess that overall the GTX 280 is an excellent card but just expensive.Where did you read about the new die?