Sign in to follow this  
Guest AAL328

ATI 4850

Guest AAL328

Hi all,I am curious as to what people are using for their settings in the CCC with the ATI cards. I just got the 4850 and I don't feel the AA is working correctly. In front of the aircraft I have what basically looks like a couple of horizontal lines where the scenery either shimmers or doesn't have any AA. It really detracts from the experience when I try to fly.My specs:E8200Vista 646 gigs of ramATI 4850 with current drivers from ATI website.22 inch LG monitorThanks in advance for any input.

Adaptive AA seems to have no effect with the 4850. Nvidia's equivalent, Transparency AA also didn't work with in FSX. This will leave trees and a few other things without AA. Normal polygon edges etc. get full AA on my system however. I run the sim at 4x Box AA, 16X AF.My previous video card, which was a Nvidia card, had an option to clamp negative LOD, which reduced shimmering noticeably. I haven't found a similar option in the 4850 control panel, so there's slightly more shimmering especially on autogen trees.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest JIMJAM

I started a post "4870 stomps 4850" so I can add a little.The 4850 I had for 2 weeks was to be a replacement for my 8800gt.One thing I learned is 99% of the graphics issues or neither Nvidia or ATI's fault but FSX.Most all the problems exist with both nvidia/ati, they just have different excuses and names for settings.With Nvidia, using Nhancer. I was able to add pos bia which helped elininate shimmer but a side effect was it scrambled the menu/atc text.I was however eventually able to get it acceptable.However, the overall 4850 FSX performance was terrible especially in clouds so I exchanged it for the 4870.Much,much better.The shimmering IMO was not as bad.One trick I use is I have a 32 inch lcd HD tv I use.I found that adjusting the tv's sharpness makes a difference.Other than that, I could not find much in the cards settings that made much difference.I never really figured out if the Catalyst aa/af settings were actually doing anything. My runways/taxiways were always a little jagged but then again they were with the Nvidia card.Good news is that most of the nvidia/ati progs like ati tools and nhancer have or either are close to being released with 4000 series Ati card supoort.

Guest AAL328

What worries me though is it is also happening with FS9. My AA and the shimmer are there just like it is in FSX. I'm just really getting tired of trying tweak after tweak. When I had my 7800GT FS9 looked great. Since it burned up though and I bought what was suppose to be bigger and better cards the image quality has just looked horrible. If this is how the sim is going to look with these cards then I guess I will have to put flight sim on the shelf for a few years and hope that something changes.

Guest Zevious Zoquis

Just got a 4850 myslef and am very pleased with it's performance in FS9. Don't have FSX though. Settings-wise, I run 4x fsaa (box) and 4x aniso at 1680x1050x32 and it looks fantastic. Also, for the first time ever in FS9 I'm able to fly in heavy overcast conditions without any of the horrible framerate issues I've always had in the past when flying through the cloud layers. With the 4850 it stays locked @ 30fps the whole time and it's hugely more convincing and enjoyable. The image quality is great and the anti-aliasing looks fine to me...I'm using the most recent cats...I posted a few screenies a while back...http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...74459&mode=full

Guest AAL328

Whats your refresh rate set at? I've noticed my new monitor only gives 60hz at 1680X1050.

Guest Zevious Zoquis

60hz. Ftmp all LCDs are 60hz afaik. Some can be forced to other refresh rates but from what I understand it's sort of a fake and it's still really 60hz "under the hood" so to speak. 60hz on an LCD is fine though. I coouldn't stand anything less than 72hz on the old CRT. But on the LCD I don't get any of the headache-inducing flickering at 60hz...