Sign in to follow this  
Guest abent

Which Ariane 737 to buy...advice sought...

Guest abent

I find the Ariane website a bit confusing and a tad lacking in information - I believe they are under construction so this is understandable. I did buy a 5.00 pound (non GMAX) version of United Airlines and frankly the DreamFleet model/textures are superior IMHO. So now I'm looking at a GMAX one. I intend to do the DF/Ariane merge.I saw some screen shots of one with really nice wing views looking back over the engines posted in the screen forum. I can't find that post any more.The Ariane website does not describe what exterior views of the wings you see from outside other than a basic passenger over wing view.Also, if I do the merge, must I have a 737-400 or will it work with a 737-300. I ask this as there are a VERY few GMAX 737-400's and in liveries I have little interest in.I'd really like AirCanada, but I don't think there is one. I'd be happy with a major US carrier like United. I looked at the B737-300 GMAX CFM United N314UA-Current and it looks amazing. But - wing views?Basically, I don't want to buy another plane without knowing exactly what I'm getting.Please give me any advice if you've bought one you like especially.Thanks, Adam

Adam,No matter which of the GMAX 737-300s you buy, it will have wing views. I bought the America West Special Edition a while back. Then, during the current sale, added a few 5-pound liveries to add on to it. I haven't done the DF merge, but I believe it will work with the -300s.John

Visuals are pretty good, and as the other John said, all the GMAX models have wing views. But you need fair warning that freeware liveries for the GMAX models are very slow in coming. Been three months, and so far, the only freeware GMAX '300 livery released that I know of was the "Santa Claus" livery. Some have complained about the flight model, although oddly the more vocal complaints come from people who don't seem to have the aircraft. I had to tweak it a little, but just by tweaking the aircraft.cfg, I've been able to get the flight model on par with any I've seen circulating in the freeware market. The point is you can mix 'n match flight models, as many of us do. It's the visual model that defines this product, I think.At the same time, if you just want an aircraft with wing views, also consider these free alternatives:IFDG's 757POSKY's 747-400 & CRJJon's BAE-146 (several repaints were added to our library last night, btw)Meljet's 777The Ariane model is unique, in that the wing view is more photoreal than any of the models mentioned above, although the POSKY '400 comes very close. But sooner or later, some repainter will do the same for the above models. Photoreal textures can be created independent of the aircraft model--it's just getting good source that's a challenge.The one rotten issue for many has been support, and/or Ariane's way of dealing with our community and hobby. Just be forewarned that should you need support, you may receive answers which really try your patience and stretch the boundaries of what's acceptable from a vendor. Many have stayed away from Ariane for this reason, and I have grown to respect and understand that. At the same time, another vendor (which I won't mention) fell into hot water for the way they handled a delayed product. In the end, it was the product that overcame such ill will. If you want a nice visual model, with nice wing views, and accept that's all you'll get, then this product is worth it. That's as fair and as neutral an opinion I can offer.-John

Guest abent

Thanks Johns, I think I will pick up one of the GMAX Ariane models - likely the United one I quoted earlier. I'm also going to try the DF merge. I've been getting incurable wing rocking in DF734 lately with LNAV engaged (strange - it just started recently) so I thought I might try the Ariane airfile with the merge.JohnCi, have you done the merge yourself? If so - I see a few merges -could you recommend one?I have posky's crj - it is really quite something, especially for freeware.Thanks again, Adam