Sign in to follow this  
Guest kimdahl

Help needed for specular mapping in FSX

Guest kimdahl

Hi guysI am trying to convert some of my old FS9 repaints of the default DC-3 to FSX versions. So far I've got the main visible texture working OK:http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/6960/k684fsxqm8.jpgWell, I know I have still got to do something about those green windows. In my first attempt I have used a pure white alpha channel like in the good old FS9 days to avoid to much shine, but I will have to refine that a bit :-)The real problem lies in the specular map of the main texture. I have looked at the spec. maps of the various default DC-3 paints in FSX, and they all seem to be very closely connected to the visible part of the texture. On the military surplus version the spec. map even reflects the different colours of the paint... Not to mention the alpha channel part of the spec. map!What is the best way to get to a good result for the spec. map without too much time consuming 'trial and error' testing? Are there any good guidelines or tutorials available somewhere?Best regardsKim Dahl

Hi Kim,I don't know if my answers are correct, I have only learned through messing about myself. There's some useful stuff in the SDK help files and readmes, by the way.The relevant html file is in program files/Microsoft Games/Microsoft Flight Simulator SDK/SDK/Modeling SDK/texturing aircraft models.htmlThe "basic image" and it's alpha are as per FS9. i.e. an RGB plus reflection alpha.Caution! Specular and Bumpmap only work if the modelmaker has used something like 3DSMax to build the plane - AND has set certain "triggers" in the program to "tell" the mdl to use these.Here is a cut 'n paste from the html file re. specular:"The specular map controls the specular characteristics on a model

Chris Brisland - the repainter known as EagleSkinner is back from the dead. Perhaps. Or maybe not.

System: Intel I9 32 GB RAM, nVidia RTX 3090 graphics 24 GB VRAM, three 32" Samsung monitors, Logitech yoke, pedals, switch panel, multi panel