Sign in to follow this  
wsieffert

More about the Sound Card FPS Hit

Guest JeanLuc_

Following this thread:http://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboa...orum=DCForumID8I've further attempted to discover why there is a hit with some Sound Cards. What I did was to move all of a particular aircraft sounds (WAV files) to another location (backup) just leaving the sound.cfg file untouched. FS2002 then can't find the wav files, hence does not allocate the sound buffers and don't play them. So there shouldn't be any difference with or without sound.In fact, when flying the aircraft with sound on (although not hearing anything), if I press the 'Q' key to toggle off all the FS2002 sounds, then the FPS jumps to as more than 10 in some cases (scenery density at the moment) and averages a 7+ FPS increase (up to 25FPS in the example I tried - with FPS locked to 25). These figures are useless since it is system specific, but the magnitude of the difference is still important and I wonder how many of you are experiencing the same?

I have a Soya Dragon MB with built-in sound. I have noticed that it occasionally produces some sound stutters while flying. It sounds like a machine gun firing. Basically, it is just very annoying, and doesn't really affect frame rates very much.My question is: Is there a known sound card that works outstandingly within FS2K2 and within Windows 2000 PRO. I also have a SoundBlaster Live card (first one produced), and it is a total disaster within Windows 2000. Looking for recommendations before I spend the bucks.Thanks!Keith

Jean,Did you remove the ATC sound also? ATC sound on my system causes stutters depending on the voice involved and the number of COM radios I am monitoring. I usually do look at the FPS, so don't know if it drops during these halts. On my Soyo Dragon+, the NIC, Sound, and Graphics Adapter all share IRQ11, which I think is more my stutter problem.