Sign in to follow this  

Upgraded to XP...Sound problem

Just to upgraded to XP Pro from Win98SE. All is fine except, there is a popping sound when using Oleksiy's Dash8 (have not tried any other planes), also the ATC voices don't sound as clear as with W98SE.I have installed the latest drivers from creative.A search in the forums turned nothing up, but I thought I had heard of this before.Any fixes I can do?thanks,Tony in Miami

Did you upgrade over top of Win98, where WinXP replaced Win98?I have a dual boot Win98SE/WinXP system that uses an on-board C-Media 8738 sound chip. When I first installed the Win98 drivers, they used *.vxd style interface files. I had a lot of pops, scratches, etc. The WinXP drivers used a different type driver files and didn't have these noises.Somewhere along the line, I removed the Win98 drivers and installed some later drivers from C-Media for Win98 that didn't use the *.vxd style files and the noises stopped.I am very pleased with this on-board C-Media sound chip. It provides excellent sound quality.I have read various posts on Creative sound problems causing the types of noises you are experiencing. I read some have fixed their problems with updated drivers. I would search the posts using "Creative" and "sound" and see if you can get some ideas to fix your problem.In any case, you could try other Creative drivers for your sound card. I would try to delete any drivers installed so that you sound card doesn't try to reinstall the old drivers before loading the new drivers.