Sign in to follow this  
Guest de_pilot

dash 8 landings

Guest de_pilot

Hey guys, me again. I have my commercial pilots license, ive never flown a plane as large as the dash 8, well not yet. I know about ground effect, but im wondering if the dash has a tremendous amount of ground effect. I can barely get the lady down. Ok i know most of u guys use runways of more that 7000 feet. Im flying in the islands of the caribbean where runways range from 1200' (saba.of course the dash doesn't go there) to 11000'. Most average about 4-5000'. Now talk about short field landings. However with the ground effect, most times im attempting to land, im ready to apply full power, i think if it was real life 90% of my attempts would end with a go around. I try as much as possible to stay a bit high, cut the power and try to get down, don't work...well unless u want such a landing that causes your tires to burts. I've tried cutting the power about 150-200 feet , who said do that. the plane drops out of the sky ( which is expected) So guys, let me know how u guys manage to grease this baby down.Thanks

Guest Niels_C

Hi there,Which FS do you use? There are some FDX "fixes" made you can applyto the aircraft.cfg file.(lift_scalar, drag_scalar in the flaps section etc.)You can try to have a look in the thread "nose high on approach" or something.Then lastly, practice. I fly plenty in the exotic Caribbean, with little trouble. Not Saba though ;-)

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.