Sign in to follow this  
aikichris

Dash engine bleeds

Hello all.I have been flying the Dash now for about 6 months and really love it - one of my favourite aircraft.One question which I hope some one can help me with is that in the tutorial flight in the 'before take off' checklist you are insructed to turn bleeds 1/2 off.Is this correct, and if so do the engine bleeds stay off for the rest of the flight?Thanks for any help.

Guest DashTrash

Our company procedure on the before takeoff checklist is to select the auto / man controllers to manual, flow selector to MIN, then bleeds off. It's the last item on the checklist since you're shutting off the air conditioning / heat.After takeoff, we turn the bleeds on again at 400 AGL, the flow selector back up to norm or max, and the temp controllers to auto.We also turn the bleeds off for landing.

Thanks for the reply.Could you explain (in simple terms!) why is is the case?Does having the bleeds off give the engines the potential to generate more power during take off or landing in case of a go around?Thanks for any advice you can give.cheers!

Guest Ruahrc

Exactly. Just as running the AC in your car will divert some of it's power from driving, so do the engine bleeds in an airplane. During the most critical phases of flight, all unecessary power drains on the engines should be turned off, in case of emergency requiring maximum possible thrust.Ruahrc

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.