Sign in to follow this  
JiBrady

HELP with a SID departure

I have been using the ability to import FS9 flight plans into the Airbus MCDU without any problems. Flying the flight plans using the autopilot also works. Now, I trying to add soms additional capabilities using SID information, but seem to be doing something wrong. I import a FS9 flight plan, from KSJC (san jose) to KTVL (Lake Tahoe), into the MCDU. I select runway 30R. Then I select the SID page, and select a departure called "LOUPE9". I then press the INSERT key and the items go from yellow to green. I see then see this in the display:KSJC30RD2SJC/0SJC047VMKTVLI takeoff, and once the gear is up, I turn on the autopilot. BUT the airplane does not fly the LOUPE9 departure? It just continues going straight out at 300 degrees. Also, the FS9 ATC does not seem to know about my LOUPE9 selection, as they they tell me to turn to 30 degress (towards KTVL). Should this work? Am I correct in expecting the autopilot to fly the LOUPE9 departure. Am I correct in expecting the ATC to understand this departure selection?Thanks,jim

Guest bjornhall

Hello Jim,No, the FMGC will not fly the LOUPE9 automatically, and the reason is the radar vectoring part of the SID. The description (just in case you don't have it) says:"Maintain runway heading to SJC 1.8 DME, then turn right heading 120, complete turn within 4 NM of SJC VOR/DME. Expect radar vectors to SJC VOR/DME, then via SJC R-339 to DYBLO INT. Thence via (transition) or (assigned route). Cross the SJC R-047 at or below 5000', cross SJC VOR/DME at 12,000', cross SJC R-339 8 NM Fix at or above 14,000', maintain assigned altitude [snip]"So what will happen is that the aircraft will climb out at 300 deg until 1.8 DME, then you select 120 deg on the heading and pull the knob. You stay in selected mode while ATC vectors you, and when you get 'resume own navigation', you can re-engage managed NAV (it'd probably be easiest to do a Direct To DYBLO at that stage).Also, the sim's ATC will have no clue of any SID you select in the PSS's FMGC, so you need to make sure whichever waypoints you want them to know about is also in your FS2004 flightplan. In this case I'd make sure the first part of the FS2004 FP is KSJC-SJC-DYBLO.However, what will probably happen is that ATC will vector you directly to the SJC-DYBLO leg as soon as you contact them, which could give you a problem with that 14,000 ft restriction at 8 NM. What you can do then is to takeoff, do not contact departure when told (just acknowledge the 'contact departure' from the tower), make that turn to 120 deg, fly a bit past the SJC R-047 radial, turn towards the SJC VOR/DME, and then contact departure. ATC is in hibernation if you don't contact them after a frequency change, and will pick up on you when you call them, provided you are anywhere near your route. This trick doesn't always work, but if they cancel your IFR you can just call them up again and ask them to reactivate it in the air.Hope this makes sense...Best, - Bj

Bjorn,Thanks for the very detailed answer. I understand what you have told me, and now understand why I could not get the autopilot to fly the departure. I guess it would have been nice if it somehow could have been smart enough to do this for me. I also figured out that the flight plan I create in FS9 does not have the LOUPE9 departure as part of it, so I figured this most likely explains why the ATC does not seem to understand the procedure.Thanks,jim

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.