Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

For Debonair Drivers

James Eden has created a wonderful website for Debonair Drivers. On this site is information like the original manual, important pages from the real Deb manual, a faq, files to download, and even the first of an installment of some real flights and pictures with anecdotal information I have taken in the plane.Have a look and enjoy-James has done an outstanding job and it will continue to be added to and updated.http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/edenw/http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/Geofdog2.jpg

Guest artl

>James Eden has created a wonderful website for Debonair>Drivers. On this site is information like ...snip...>important pages from the real Deb manual ...snip...>After an absence of some time, I got back to the (wonderful!) reincarnated deb recently.And my question (at the bottom of all this) is about real-world spins.By way of background, I note that page 2-9 of the POH says that "spins are prohibited".I also found a site http://www.risingup.com/planespecs/info/airplane116.shtmlthat says that the empty weight of an F33 with the 2x 37 gallon tanks and 285 hp engine is 2125 whereas the downloaded aircraft.cfg uses 1800 (which seems to be the number for the standard version with a 225 engine and 2x 25 gallon tanks).When I plug the 2125 empty weight in, and also add a couple of pilots at 175 lbs each at station_load.0 and station_load.1, then the deb's agressive climb rate gets toned down a bit (I am guessing at the CofG moment and the lateral positions for the pilots). A couple of minor tweaks are needed to get the airspeeds back to the numbers, but I got it pretty much what the posted POH says....But the interesting effect is that this configuration will spin the deb in a beautiful flat spin, but at only about 1 revolution per minute or even less. In some entries, it may hardly change heading at all, just sink flat at 5000 fpm with an airspeed right on stall.I was just wondering if you had any idea (perhaps experience?) about what the real-world deb will spin like?Art.

Guest RobA

Geof, Thanks for the heads up! The Deb's still my favorite single engine prop. I have the DreamFleet Archer and it's a quality aircraft,but somehow it feels like I've only borrowed the Deb from you and it makes the flights more real. On my way to James's site. :-)Best, RobEdit:Aaackk! The stories page link comes up as page not found.http://members.directvinternet.com/geof43/mica/mica1.htm

The 1800 figure is correct for the deb. The tanks are actually 40 each-only 37 gallons usable.Also re: the climb rate-try clicking on the vsi-you will see it actually is about 1000 fpm less than it indicates. The "climb problem" is actually a translation of a photo of the real gauge over the default cessna-from what I can tell the plane is actually climbing pretty much as should -the vsi is just showing high due to the numeric indicators being in a different place. Not being a gauge programer there was little I could do here-I suppose substituting the default cessna gauge would work!I have never spun the real bird so I can't really answer your questions. I did just complete my commercial though and can tell you about lazy eights and chandelles! :-)As an interesting note-after 9 years of ownership the Deb may be for sale! I have been offered a partnership in a Baron, and at this point in my flying it makes sense to go that route. Only problem is getting insurance issues worked out which may be impossible....http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/Geofdog2.jpg

Sorry about the story page-I put a huge amount of work into it-then my dsl provider went out of business and took it with them! I don't have the time right now to re do it......Thanks for the nice comments though-and I'll try to get it back up at some point.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/Geofdog2.jpg

Guest artl

>...>Also re: the climb rate...you will see>it actually is about 1000 fpm less than it indicates. ... the vsi is>just showing high due to the numeric indicators being in a>different place. ...snip...Oh, is that all :) Try replacing the "Value" and the "Nonlinearlity" section of your XML with this: (A:Vertical speed,feet per minute) 100 /It will be a lot closer, although a few more hours of testing might make it perfect :). But it is now at the stage where any further incremental improvement requires long effort.Somebody may notice that the numbers in the negative sections are not an exact flip of those in the positive. That is just because your bitmap reflects the angle at which the picture was taken, and is not perfectly symmetrical... no problem. NEW TOPIC: Load-Stations....I may be wrong, but I understand that one can "load" an FS2002 aircraft with "station_load.x" entries in the "WEIGHT_AND_BALANCE" section of the aircraft.cfg, such as:station_load.0= weight, longitudinal position, lateral position, vertical distance...:-shy I hesitate to impose, but a post of the estimated position of each pilot's and passenger's individual CofGs, plus that of any major baggage areas... would really be appreciated... :-cool (forward-aft relative to empty-aircraft CofG, and left-right relative to center-line)