Sign in to follow this  

Spyware from Fsim site

In one of the Simflight newsgroups, there has been a discussion regarding people getting spyware into their computers after visiting a certain Fsim website.I don't want to start a discussion regarding the rights or wrongs of this or which website is involved -- what I do want to know is just how is this happening.As far I can ascertain , it seems to have something to do with pop-up adds on the site -- but my question is this. Just what is the process that allows this to happen? Are people clicking on these popups and asking for a programme to be downloaded? Do they have an insufficient security setting in their browser? Is the problem applicable to all browsers - IE, Opera, Netscape,etc.Any discussion/advice would be appreciated Thanks Barry

You can get the little program called Pop-Up Stopper. It gives you a X on your start bar, and when you click on that, it turns RED to let you know that any unsolicited window will be quashed.Works like a charm!You get a Bzzzzzz sound to let you know that a web site was attempting to open a window on your system.Also...you should NEVER let a window add stay active, as it can be used by the sender to keep track of your browsing. There was an article on that some time back.Today...you have to be wary...As to the spy ware? After each session upon the web, I do housecleaning in taking the 'cookie' crumbs out...as well as Temporary Pages Content. Just good computer housekeeping... Because of clicking on an ad invitation can be sending you WHO KNOWS WHAT????? I simply don't. I'll read an add..and then if I'm interested in the content, will investigate the offering/company through search....and even if I go to the website page..I check EVERYTHING out as to the active links.....or...that it MIGHT be a 'sneaky' active.... Once you click...it's too late....I also twice weekly update my virus definition files, like clockwork. You have to! There is no other M.O.....less than that..you leave yourself open to whatever...Cheers!Mitch R.

Most likely, someone's clicking on a pop up that offers a "Close" or "Cancel" option with embedded code. When seeing pop-ups, I always suggest right clicking on the title bar, and choosing the close option. People shouldn't click any button or control on a pop-up, regardless of the label.A great program is one called "Kill Ad". I set it to terminator mode, and it has yet to find a pop-up it couldn't kill. There's others out there as well.-John

You are most right! I do exactly the same.--------------------------------Mitch

Guest Calb

As note of interest..... Netscape v7.1 has a built-in pop-up stopper -- it give an ding everytime a popup tries to open a new window. You'd be amazed at how often it dings.NS 7 also has a builtin cookie manager and gives a small visual warning whenever a site sends one.Me too, after every extended session, I do a sweep with Spybot Search & Destory. Unfortunately, Ad Aware is no longer valid. And, if have noticed anything funny happening, I always have a look at my Registry & startup list with JV16 Power Tools to see if something has been inserted.These are interesting times......Calhover long and prosper

Another option for you IE lovers is using something like Crazy Browser. When I need to use IE functionality instead of my standard Mozilla, I *always* use Crazy Browser - not IE itself. It basically wraps the IE engine in a much more feature rich browser interface... With, as is appropriate here, a built-in PopUp stopper (and easy multi-tab browsing, and built-in language translations, and quick features disabler such as ActiveX controls, etc, etc, etc).Crazy Browser is free and available here:http://www.crazybrowser.comGood luck,Elrond

Guest DreamFleet

I have not seen a pop-up in well over a year. First I used Panic Ware's Pop Up Stopper, and now Earthlink provides one of their own, that integrates with IE / Netscape. Heck, I have to turn it off so I can see/check the pop-up at the DF web site! It's all very convenient to use. Earthlink also has an interface that modifies IE, called "Total Access". They also have "Spaminator" that eliminates not all, but a great deal of spam from my e-mail.Must say, I made the right choice from day one; went with Earthlink and never had to consider another ISP again. They're simply the best in my book. The tools are out there, you just have to make use of them. ;-)Regards,http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...RUM_LOUF_A2.jpg

If you are annoyed by spyware (cookies, popups,...) I would recommend Ad-Aware. I have installed it and I think it really works. There is a freeware version (with reduced features). In case you are interested check at: http://www.lavasoft.de/ ;)

Lou Betti the king of schills has spokenConsidering the current state of that popup monster that you and Nels have got going over at FS.com and the general uselessness of the site in general you should hang your head in shame everytime you post here.I think you have a lot of nerve posting your opinions on this subject considering that your site is just is indicitive of the commercial greed that permeates the FS community.If it was`nt for people like you we would`nt need all the extra overhead in the first place.I`m wondering how much you`re getting to hawk EarthLink?

:-lolI wouldn't have noticed that since I originally downloaded it with Mozilla (which also has its own built-in popup blocker).I guess they just want to show you what life is like *without* Crazy Browser. :-)Take care,Elrond