Sign in to follow this  
Gavin

A/T and reverser - question about landing...

Guest jabberthecat

WHen shutting off the Auto Pilot just before landing oneof the Boeings does one proceed to turn off the auto/throttle?Does leaving the auto/throttle on prevent the thrust reversors from being deployed?Thanks,Myles

Generally the rule of thumb is to disengage the autopilot at 200 feet (assuming you are following the glidepath properly), and disengate the A/T at about 50 feet. After disengaging the A/T, bring throttles to idle (use your F1 key to make sure since all joysticks don't always go to 100% idle), make sure you begin your flare, and softly touchdown. If your spoilers were armed, they should deploy. You should also reverse thrust and apply brakes (or autobrakes) until about 60 knots, then bring the throttles back to idle and continue to brake until you can safely turn off the runway.-JD

You need to turn off the auto throttle before landing. If not it'll try to keep to the set speed; making braking and slowing down quite fun! How do I know ;-)I find that, especially with real weather conditions (in my case thanks to WxRE), it's better, and more fun, to turn off autopilot and auto throttle at about 1000ft and bring her in manually, making power adjustments as necessary.hope that helps.Gavin

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)