Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ruahrc

Suggestion for 2D panel to increase performance

Guest Ruahrc

I have a suggestion for the 2D panel that should increase the performance of the sim.Currently, when looking at the 2D panel, if you use the "zoom" view, the PD, ND, and EICAS gauges each get drawn twice. First is the original "small size" gauges in the standard 2D panel, and second is the 3 new screens on the "zoom" overlay. The extra drawing of screens (3 of which you can't see) adds extra load to the system and with these being fancy GDI screens they impact the FPS.The same phenomenon can be seen when you click each screen to "zoom" it individually. The original "smaller size" gauge remains visible and a 2nd enlarged version of the screen pops up as well. Again this is unnecessary duplication of screens that only serves to slow down the performance of the panel.My suggestion then is to simply code in some logic which will close the extra screens when they are not needed. For example, if you click the "zoom" panel, the 3 original small sized displays should no longer be rendered, as they are invisible behind the zoom overlay. Also, if you click on an individual display for enlargement, the original should not be rendered until the enlargement is closed.This is how it worked on the older PSS Airbus products, so I would hope that the PSS team has the capability to implement such a feature.I don't know about everyone else, but I get a noticeable drop in fps when using the "zoom" panel, because of this unnecessary overdrawing of screen gauges. It seems like to me to be a pretty straightforward and easy fix to implement.Ruahrc

Would be a good thing.Have had the same idea.Guy

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.