Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ghost

Request Descent

Guest Ghost

During all of my VoxATC flights I have to request descent as I am approaching my destination airport. VoxATC will keep me at cruise altitude if I don't initiate the request.Is it normal VoxATC procedure that I initiate the call or am I doing something incorrectly. Maybe I am missing a step.ThanksRobert

Hello Robert,Give me some more details on what you are flying, how long the trip is and what cruise altitude you are using. Most of my personal flying is simulating GA flights in singles and small twins up to 12,000 feet altitude. The only time I will have descent issues are when VoxATC has decided to bring me in to a runway from the opposite direction and I'll nearly be over the airport before I get descent instructions. In that case I will have asked for a descent before reaching the airport but at the current state I don't like this feature much. It tends to clear you to too low of an initial altitude and when you get approach instructions you sometimes have to climb again... doesn't make sense when it does that. There are plans in future versions for specific altitude requests and much more realistic VFR operations.If you are flying faster jets and at higher altitudes I would recommend you start using the SID/STAR setup as this will allow you to program in a stepped approach and manage altitudes much better than the current default programming. This is more in keeping with how you would be handled in real life for the same situation anyway. If you are flying GA and using higher altitudes but coming into smaller airports without published procedures you can also descend in a holding pattern. I have done this in real life flying expecially when coming in to some mountainous areas where a shallow descent profile just isn't a safe option.Hope this helps,Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Guest Ghost

Hi Zane,First I'd like to thank you for all of the assistance that you provide on this forum. I haven't posted much, but I do read all of the posts here and have found the information very helpful.That being said.....Almost all of my flights are using the Flight1 C441. Most flight are about 100-150 miles, cruising around 12000-16000 feet, cruise speed approx 220.The most recent flight plan I flew was:KCCR CORDD V195 JINGO V23 RBL KRDDI did have a straight in approach on this flight, not sure about others.I seem to get the same result, meaning having to request descent on all of my flights. I am usually using FsBuild2 for flight planning(I've followed the threads concerning this). I have also used the FS9 planner to see if results were different, but they weren't. I do all of the procedure as far as loading the plan into the fs9 flight planner and resaving the plan, I save the flight including the plan, and then reopen the flight to begin.Maybe my flights are too short. I don't mind having to request descent, I just didn't know if that was the 'normal' procedure.I think that VoxATC is a great add-on and can't wait to see what may be in store in the future. I hope this is just the beginning of something really good !Thanks for you help,Robert