Sign in to follow this  
gosta

Upgrade on Video card

I recently upgraded from a Geforce2 Ti video card to a Geforce 4 Ti4200 card. The strange thing is, now I get much higher frame rates in VC than I do in 2D. An example approching O'Hare in geoff's Debonair, in 2D I was getting between 9 & 11 FPS but in VC I was getting between 13 & 15. this is not the exception My VC rates are always higher than 2D view.Chuck

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I noticed something quite similar. It seems the faster the system, the more likely it is that 3D cockpits give better fps than 2D cockpits. When I bought my Ti 4200, I noticed the same thing as well. Now I fly exclusively with the 3D cockpits, which was not the case previously. But I guess it all depends on the specific configuration of FS2002 and what aircraft you are talking about. I would hazard a guess the more complicated the 3D cockpit, and the higher the polygon count, the more likely 2D will still work better.

The answer is that all 3dD rendering is done by the graphics card, so if you have a slower CPU, a good graphics card will take some of the load off it, which is not the case in 2D view. And yes, a higher polygon count will offset that advantage, as all the polygons will have to be processed before being sent to the graphics card, hence more CPU load.Cheers,Gosta.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg