Sign in to follow this  
JARVG

Using keywords NAVAID or FIX

Hello Terry,Is there a difference in using the keywords NAVAID or FIX when building PMDG procedures? ThanksJAR

Jos van Grevenstein 

21 NM north of EHAM

Anyone else perphaps?thanksJAR

Jos van Grevenstein 

21 NM north of EHAM

Guest staang

Hello JAR,There is a difference in terms of the terminal procedures. Keep in mind that the definition, or use, for these terms is different than the FAA definition and that a FIX can be a fix, intersection or radio navaid. It simply tells the FMC where to look for the waypoint data. When a waypoint is defined as a FIX the FMC looks for the Lat/Long of that waypoint in the FIXES section of the airport terminal procedures file. Once found it does not look any further. The navaid database for FS is not used. The advantage of defining all waypoints as a FIX is that FS is therefore never consulted so you do not have to update the FS navaid data (AIRAC data in the FMCWP folder) and you will not get a "navaid not found" error unless the terminal procedure file creator screwed up and did not define all the waypoints.If the waypoint is called a NAVAID then the FMC goes to the FS navaids (AIRAC) data to look up the Lat/Long of that waypoint. It does not look in the FIXES section. I see no advantage in using a NAVAID definition. The disadvantage is that if FS does not have that waypoint in it's AIRAC database then you get an error. You also have to buy the AIRAC data unless you know enough to add waypoints or correct any errors yourself. Hope that was clear enough to understand.RegardsTerry

Hello Terry,Thanks for your help. Its clear to me now.I was asking this because i am writing a tool that lets you edit or create procedure files. Your PMDG tutorial is very helpfull for this. This tool is already working, but needs a lot of testing. Also i am a bit worried about copyright issues, because a lot of procedure files contain some notes about that in the comments.regards JARSorry for the bad english, but its not my native language

Jos van Grevenstein 

21 NM north of EHAM

Guest staang

The copyright issue is not easy. All the procedures I've found are copyrighted. Not a problem if you use the data just for yourself but not all authors will allow you to use their data for redistribution. The ones I produce I've gotten permission to use but I've had several other companies say no. Good luck.RegardsTerry